Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

is it RIP VAN???

Best answers
Reaction score
Hi all,

this morning on my way to work my cam-belt slipped taking the casing with it,:Cry: spent 4 hours on the side of the road waiting for the RAC. to tow me home.

i know this engine is wrecked, so am trying to get some ideas of what cost it would be for an Izuzu TD and installation ?

any advice would be appricated

Kev:sad:

to get someone else to fit it? Well you should be able to get the bits you need for 150 and maybe 100+ on top for fitting depending if yours is petrol or diesel at the moment

I would leave the van with the garage or pay for it to be done if somone wanted to have shot at it

my van at the min is a GM td, would i need a new gearbox for the van if i changed it to the Isuzu ?

thanks for the quick reply mate

thats good means you can use your existing tank and lines etc. you can use your current box but need bid block legs and driveshafts, the loom and other ancilaries(sp?)

its not that hard to do if your have a place to do it and the right tools

thanks for the info... what other options do i have regarding engines,

is the izuzu a straight swap with only the mounts that need changed ?

i think i will probs go for the same gm engine and make sure its fully serviced,with new belts as i have read it is a pain getting the izuzu electricals to match up with the current loom.

have had a trawl of ebay and the forum. think i shall have to keep looking for now.

kev

just get a engine loom for the isuzu mate, its really not that hard to do

the logistics are the hard bit of the engine.. i have no way to collect an engine now, and id have to get it fitted by the garage.

i have been advised to try a new cam belt to see if the snap has done any damage to the engine. so i have a mate who has a lot of experience in doing engines and body swaps and we are going to tackle this. and see how it goes from ther ???

any advice on the this would be great

thanks for the replies guys

kev

yeah i did a have a peak mate, but cant afford it at the min, ive just spent nearly 1k on my van..

thanks for the offer tho

kev

I blew my crap GM lump up in my van. Changed to Isuzu. Not too difficult to be honest, wiring isnt bad either just dont have glow plug heater wired yet. Im going to do that to a switch. Anything you need to know let me know mate. Parts I changed;
Engine (Duh)
Gearbox
Struts
Hubs
Drive Shafts
Engine Mount (Welded onto chassis leg as is mounted different to GM engine)

And took the GM loom and wired it onto the Isuzu lump so it was a plug in and not loads of solder and heatshrink.

have added the engine to my watched list on ebay.

i really want to keep the van so i spoke to the garage this afternoon they advised me to put a new head in, with gasket, and a new cambelt

has anyone got any idea what a head would cost from the scrappy?

cambelt £25
gasket £??
head

thanks guys

yep i think im going to cut my losses and get another van.. on the look out for an izuzu engine'd one tho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back