Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Laying a car up

Best answers
Reaction score
I'm laying my car up for a few months as the engine's died and I'm going to wait for better weather before I attempt an engine swap. So what should I do to with it to stop things breaking or seizing up?

Obviously the best option would be to put in a garage if you have one/ access to one. But failing that, a good full length cover, one that also covers the wheels will do. If the car is on level ground, release the handbrake and put chocks in front and behind the wheels, just to make sure it isn't going to go anywhere.

Alternatively, you could always raise the car off the ground using axle stands and cover the brake discs and/ or the rear drums as a minimum. This is what I do, and never have a problem

Also, over inflate the tyres by 5-8 psi so you don't get flat spots where the car is standing.

Also, just have a check over that anything that could be nibbled by rats or mice is protected....other option is some mouse/rat poision (sorry animal lovers!) somewhere under the bonnet to stop the little b*ggers chewing through your insulation or looms.

If its in a garage, Get it on axle stands and take the wheels off altogether and stack them (i did this for security as well as getting flat spots) and cover it over with sheets. If its outside do the same but get a good waterproof cover that covers the whole car.

wash it with wash n wax, making sure all soil n muck is removed from arches/underneath as it collects moisture and makes rust/rot. polish it. leave handbrake off. on a dry sunny day open windows n doors etc to let air in there.
mine stood for like a year and there was mould everywhere, on the wheel, gearstick, carpets e.t.c manky stuff to clean off :/

wash it with wash n wax, making sure all soil n muck is removed from arches/underneath as it collects moisture and makes rust/rot. polish it. leave handbrake off. on a dry sunny day open windows n doors etc to let air in there.
mine stood for like a year and there was mould everywhere, on the wheel, gearstick, carpets e.t.c manky stuff to clean off :/

no good polishing it if you dont wax it!for exterior i would give it a good coating of wax (at least 4 coats) then leave the last coating on and cover it with a cover, raise it up on axle stands if you can and remove wheels and stack them like suggested. If you can't, chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off! can guarantee the drums will stick if you leave the handbrake on! if you dont rotate the wheels you will need new tyres though.

no good polishing it if you dont wax it!for exterior i would give it a good coating of wax (at least 4 coats) then leave the last coating on and cover it with a cover, raise it up on axle stands if you can and remove wheels and stack them like suggested. If you can't, chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off! can guarantee the drums will stick if you leave the handbrake on! if you dont rotate the wheels you will need new tyres though.

polish is wax :lol:

Polish isn't Wax at all.

Polish is slightly abrasive to make the paintwork shine and Wax is a sealant which puts a protective layer over the paintwork

in a garage on axle stands with a waterproof car cover (just incase of unknown leaks)

cant really see anything siezing up apart from the brakes and to prevent that i'd put it in a gear and take the handbrake off. i'd also chock the wheels, thats if your keeping them on. as everyone is saying beast if you can gargage it and lift her off the ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Back