Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Leon's Phase 2

small update again-

Found a nice replacement for the lower vent, it's a GM item but NOT for the MK3 :) My old one was damaged and the thin rubber flaps werent doing their job.... This one is a better design, the flaps are a full plastic section with rubber around them to seal so should do a much better job than the mk3's. I havent actually fitted yet but have offered up and looks like it's a straight replacement-

View attachment 20836

View attachment 20837

Finished the lower section repairs-

View attachment 20838

View attachment 20839

Then added plenty of seam sealer -

View attachment 20840
Whats the purpose of this flap then mate?

Cheers, going to start looking on the underside next.... Got the tank off and some Schultz / stoneguard to get busy with. Will then shoot it all in epoxy.
You thought about using upol raptor bed liner? Tough as nails, available in a tintable version just add 10% basecoat and you can spray a body coloured stonechip in one hit. That's the stuff I'm going to use in the future as its meant to be great stuff.

Whats the purpose of this flap then mate?

To replace the old one I've removed that's damaged, this one is a better design too plus struggled to get a new mk3 one. I believe they are there for a number of reasons.... relieve pressure when doors / boot etc. is slammed shut as to not pop ear drums of people inside the car and also relieve strain on windows and seals. It's also the main release / flow through for the heater blower fan and is where the air circulates out of the vehicle.

You thought about using upol raptor bed liner? Tough as nails, available in a tintable version just add 10% basecoat and you can spray a body coloured stonechip in one hit. That's the stuff I'm going to use in the future as its meant to be great stuff.

I was going to paint my Derv in that stuff but totally forgotten about it as of late.... Didnt realise you could add basecoat to it, that's pretty awesome! I've already got the Schultz stoneguard so will run with that now though, when I replaced the sill on my Derv I managed to get it matching OE finish so at least I've some experience with this stuff and know how to handle it.

Well, it didn't like the stoneguard I used on it.... Didnt want to take and a fair bit has flaked off (I've used a wire brush on the rear panel).... DOH! Looks like the Hammerite underneath effects it somewhat.

Anyway, was all set to hit it with epoxy..... Get all the gear on and then realised I've totally ran out of thinners. Double DOH! At least it's all ready and masked-

Getting there now :) should be good for a few years now

Getting there now :) should be good for a few years now

Yeah, I can see the end in sight now.... It's reacted at the top though so need to strip to bear metal :doh: (thought I would have to, 1k stuff there). Happy to have at least the 1/4 protected in epoxy though.

Ah it's just the primer that has reacted??

I think u need to not mess around mate, u have tainted the whole car with 1k, anything you have left you need to bare metal now otherwise it will never be right!

Ah it's just the primer that has reacted??

I think u need to not mess around mate, u have tainted the whole car with 1k, anything you have left you need to bare metal now otherwise it will never be right!

Yep, agreed.

Don't we all just love 1k stuff!? Here's what happens when you hit it with anything decent (that's scuffed 1k stuff and then thin coat of epoxy 2k, built up from very light passes. This was NOT caused by too thick application of the epoxy! Will more than likely be reactivation of the paint from the solvent)-

And my weapon of choice to remove the paint down to at least the original paint-

So I've taken it down to mostly the original primer, some traces of original colour but 100% no 1k still present. I also blocked back after the below to level but will also be applying high build and blocking that back so not too fussed at this stage-

And freshly hit with epoxy again (still a little dusty in the spray booth.... I mean garage)-

Looks like I've eaten into the filler a little on the sealing lip to boot area where I've welded and blended in now, will have to lay some more down before the high build and shape again, the main flat part is still fine though so could just leave it hidden by the boot but that would just annoy me because I know it's there! -

Will be the last bit of spraying for a while now, looking at the weather forecast it's going to get very cold here and for the foreseeable.... I'm happy to spray at say 10 or 8 deg C but when it's close to freezing temps I'm just asking for trouble (adhesion, moisture, colour match, flow etc. etc.). Glad it's at least sealed in epoxy, if it were left in high build I'd be worried!

Bloody hell Leon, I thought the idea of all this was to remove all traces of 1k and do it right haha.

But yes it is a bit cold for spraying now. I think I painted mine in May and I was lucky, it was 20c+ and like no wind :D

Bloody hell Leon, I thought the idea of all this was to remove all traces of 1k and do it right haha.

But yes it is a bit cold for spraying now. I think I painted mine in May and I was lucky, it was 20c+ and like no wind :D

Yeah, nevermind.... it's all gone on that bit now lol. I did the other side all down to metal and was going to do this side the same way too but with it just being the top section and with the cold weather coming I decided to lightly go over it on the top to save some time..... whoops, knew that was a bad idea! Got the door and wing to do as well and take down to metal, I''m not removing them so will be doing them after the 1/4 is all done instead of a full hit over the side which I'd have preferred to avoid any colour mismatch.

Don't you hate it when you cut corners!
I had to give up for a while with the Mégane because it got so cold at one point last year

Don't you hate it when you cut corners!
I had to give up for a while with the Mégane because it got so cold at one point last year

That's just it, I didn't really want to.... Andy was correct in that most of the body work (apart from the 1/4 inner outter) was to address the 1k stuff but was also against it with the weather. Not the best time of year to be doing bodywork but want to enjoy it this summer, I do enjoy it as a project during winter but really need to use the car more when the weather improves so really trying to get it done now. Still, means I can at least move onto the underside some more- new freshly painted tank to fit, make some new fuel lines and fittings etc.

Well, with the weather and feeling VERY ill I've not been up to much, I have however managed this -

New fuel filter and new bracket fitted (Both GM items), new bit of fuel line with correct crimps.... I've also painted the bracket to protect it a little more than just the zinc coating-

And fitted the new tank in place -

Last edited:
I'm surprised you didn't do full car rebuild an make everything new lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back