Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Leon's Phase 2

I've also adjusted the back box slightly to bring it up a little, the backbox silencer section is sooooo big though so this is probably the max I can lift it, ideally I'd like to have gone further but I think it looks fine still-

Looking good mate, only thing I would change is the exhaust too but thats only personal taste

Looking good mate, only thing I would change is the exhaust too but thats only personal taste

Because it's single pipe type? I was going to weld a twin tip onto it anyway to be honest but it's kinda growing on me.

I like single pipes but like outward rolled or something like that, it looks a bit unfinished if you get me?

I like single pipes but like outward rolled or something like that, it looks a bit unfinished if you get me?

Yep, I get you there..... Just like it's a pipe that's just cut off (which it is lol), considering the quality of the rest of the system I was surprised with the tip.

I have to say Leon the results there are fantastic. To think you're working in a small garage, it does look amazing so well done to you, you should be very happy with that :)

Cheers :D

She's 1000001% better than she was, I'm still not happy to just leave as is though.... happy to have at least a decent base to work from now though, just sand and hit it again with paint, the protection and shaping is there and no worries or incompatible paint types any more either to worry about (once the door and wing is done that is). I'm in no rush either.... The car was looking pretty embarrassing with the filler work on the 1/4, cracks in paintwork etc. so glad it's looking 1/2 decent again.

The new exhaust system finished today, was clamped up with to check for clearance and fitment with the intentions of removing again to weld up if I was happy with it all-

Gave it a quick blow over with paint for the welds mainly-

And back on again, considering the size I think I've done well with ground clearance! -

And how I've chosen to fit the backbox on, was going to use a bolt on flange but due to clearance next to my spring (and then the wheelbay) means this is the better option-

And the final position of the backbox, it's as high as I can get it now, wont clear the wheel bay otherwise-

Should have used stainless mig wire, no need to weld then ;)

Yep, probably should have lol..... I've just cracked on and used what I have though to get it done. Want to move onto the engine :)

And she's in bits again :lol: Only got her off the axle stands Friday night, back up she goes....

Bumper and grill off to expose a tiny intercooler-

My oil cooler (likely to be replaced with a larger one I have)-

Rad and both fans removed-

And will be modding the cross member here later -

And the reason it's being pulled apart now.... to improve intake and engine temps.

Below shows how hot the car runs-

This was on a very hot day but remember them being straight before a long drive, I noticed the wobbly fins immediately when I was putting the car away :(

Anyway, some measurements for me to take note of -

Glad to see you got her back out :)

Can't believe how hot it gets, that's mad! Mine never feels hot under the bonnet at all, but I guess it helps being so open in mine.

Yep, that's with oil cooler and fan, two rad fans, thermostat removed (to be re-instated, was only to test), bonnet raised at rear, GTE bonnet vents with undertrays removed for max air etc.

Going to get choppy with it, new intercooler is on order too :)

Is that a pattern part grill or a oe one? That's crazy!

it's an OE one :( and yeah, my engine temps are unreal.... I was even going to make a turbo cooler specifically for the coolant return see if that helps but shouldnt have to. I've tried a few different combinations of coolant routes too and currently how the VXR's route theirs (I'm T'd in on the lower (cold) right hose to feed and then returns back to header tank), turbo is slightly clocked also so I know all that side is in order.

it's an OE one :( and yeah, my engine temps are unreal.... I was even going to make a turbo cooler specifically for the coolant return see if that helps but shouldnt have to. I've tried a few different combinations of coolant routes too and currently how the VXR's route theirs (I'm T'd in on the lower (cold) right hose to feed and then returns back to header tank), turbo is slightly clocked also so I know all that side is in order.

You could of just said same as mine lol

Yea I don't see why your having so many issues, I've done track days in mine and had no issues.
Are you on a direnza rad? Or TD still?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back