Lumpy running C18XE.

Andy

Club Member
Member of Honour
Reaction score
How do chaps.

I got this REALLY annoying idle issue.
It occurs mostly from cold and there are several symptoms to it.

When I start it in the morning, it revs to around 1.5-2k then after a couple of seconds it settles down to 600 ish and stays there. As I drive off I can feel the throttle sticking open, and as I come to a stop at a juction and press the clutch down, it revs up to 2ish or sometimes it’s up and down the revs for a few seconds, then settles back down to 600-700. Occasionally, if I dip the clutch as I come up to a junction or whatever, it starts to bog down (I can even see the headlights diming as it starts to stall).

I’ve change the ICV, the TPS, and the coolant temp sensor. I’m starting to run out of ideas of what to check next, and patience.
I need help before I drive it off a cliff or introduce my fist to the panels. :madgrin:

Last edited:

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
I would check for air leaks to start with, make sure the vac hoses are all good. I once had a split gasket on my throttle body on my old 1.6 8v causing similar issues, although that just idled high all the time lol.

You've definitely covered the points I was going to suggest though.

Andy

Club Member
Member of Honour
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I opened the bonnet to check the hoses, saw that the rocker gasket has gone (AGAIN :mad:), got depressed, and closed the bonnet. So haven’t really checked properly lol.

I’m putting together a list of bits I need for various little jobs that have built up, including a rocker gasket. I’ll get a throttle body gasket while I’m at it, give the TB a clean out while it’s off, then wack that on with the new gasket and see how that goes.

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Sounds stupid, but when u take it apart, disconnect the battery so the ECU powers down while u do the repair, that will loose the idle adaptives and will have to relearn

Andy

Club Member
Member of Honour
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh, noice tip Dave. I’ll keep that in mind. :thumb:

So will I have to fully open and close the throttle a certain amount of times, or just bang it on and off we go?

Andy

Club Member
Member of Honour
Reaction score
I will defo post up the results once I’ve carried out the work bud.

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
If all else fails, B204 it lol.
Andy is all about standard yo

Nah don't need to do anything special Andy, the adaptives are basically the ECU learning where the idle valve has to be to achieve its target idle rpm

Kev_mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
I NEVER did a gasket on the rocker cover, The one time i did I used a cereal packet never changed it ever again

Andy

Club Member
Member of Honour
Reaction score
I've made a start on this today.

Haven't changed the TB gasket yet (I'm saving that till tomorrow), but I'm half way through changing the rocker gasket.

What I wanted to ask (save starting a new thread), was if I should just use the gasket and o-rings or should I add a bead of silicone gasket maker too?

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Your supposed to use gasket sealer by the cam caps to stop it leaking, u could use a smear over the head to help the gasket I reckon. Only good quality stuff thou

Kev_mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
I've made a start on this today.

Haven't changed the TB gasket yet (I'm saving that till tomorrow), but I'm half way through changing the rocker gasket.

What I wanted to ask (save starting a new thread), was if I should just use the gasket and o-rings or should I add a bead of silicone gasket maker too?
never used anything in my life. never had a issue

Varnis9

Club Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your ecu for any faults? Also checked wiring near the tps and icv connectors? When did these symptoms begin?

Andy

Club Member
Member of Honour
Reaction score
I read that too late Andy lol. In the end I smeared a little just along the head surface.

Have you checked your ecu for any faults? Also checked wiring near the tps and icv connectors? When did these symptoms begin?
I'm checking things one at a time.
When I did the rocker gasket, I cleaned out all the breather hoses. Just now I changed the plugs for some good nearly new ones.
If that doesn't help I'll swap the air filter to the standard box, then after that I'll change the TB gasket. If none of that works, I'll start looking at the ecu and/or the engine loom.

After that... A lighter and some petrol should fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)