Lumpy running C18XE.

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Smear of sealant isn't gonna hurt it mate, as said you are suppose to put sealant where parts joing like the cam caps etc

Good shout doing one thing at a time, then you know when it's fixed

Varnis9

Club Member
Reaction score
I read that too late Andy lol. In the end I smeared a little just along the head surface.

I'm checking things one at a time.
When I did the rocker gasket, I cleaned out all the breather hoses. Just now I changed the plugs for some good nearly new ones.
If that doesn't help I'll swap the air filter to the standard box, then after that I'll change the TB gasket. If none of that works, I'll start looking at the ecu and/or the engine loom.

After that... A lighter and some petrol should fix it.
I have been having similar issues with my c20xe. Done almost everything during the last 2 years still havent managed to sort it out.. I know these engines are absolute fuckers when it comes down to idling issues. Please let me know of the outcomes.

Andy

Club Member
Member of Honour
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry. Kinda forgot to update this. :laugh:

I fitted a new T/B gasket, gave the T/B and the ICV a good clean.
I thought that had cured it, as I didn't notice it playing up on the drive to work the morning after, but it seems to have made no difference and is back to how it was. :mad:
I swaped the air fiter back to the standard box the other night (tbh I wasn't expecting that to be the cause, but it drives a lot better anyway so that a thing).
I'm going to buy a new coil pack from euros to try that. What I was also thinking, was checking the vac pipes that go to that stupid little charcole/emission thing that's behind the driver's front wing (and maybe even remove it altogether).

Also, I've just remembered when (roughly) this started. It was a couple of weeks, maybe a month before VBOA last year (as I remember asking Nige if he might have a clue).

Varnis9

Club Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry. Kinda forgot to update this. :laugh:

I fitted a new T/B gasket, gave the T/B and the ICV a good clean.
I thought that had cured it, as I didn't notice it playing up on the drive to work the morning after, but it seems to have made no difference and is back to how it was. :mad:
I swaped the air fiter back to the standard box the other night (tbh I wasn't expecting that to be the cause, but it drives a lot better anyway so that a thing).
I'm going to buy a new coil pack from euros to try that. What I was also thinking, was checking the vac pipes that go to that stupid little charcole/emission thing that's behind the driver's front wing (and maybe even remove it altogether).

Also, I've just remembered when (roughly) this started. It was a couple of weeks, maybe a month before VBOA last year (as I remember asking Nige if he might have a clue).
The fuel tank solenoid will have no effect on the engine rpm/idle whatsoever, you can even remove it completely so do not spent time on that. A faulty coil pack will not bring an eml light since it is not wired to do so, but you can check for cracks around its casing which will indicate a potential problem.

In my opinion best think is to run it through diagnostics maybe that will tell you what the problem is straight away. Another thing to inspect is the small bango nipple that comes from below the inlet manifold to the cam cover, there is a tiny hole through it make sure it is clean and clear, they are notorious for carbon and oil built up. To check it remove the thinner hose from the cam cover while the engine is running and put your finger to block it you should feel a good suction. If not then it s clogged. Let us know how it goes.

P. S. You can check for vacuum leaks using a brake cleaner give it a good spray around the inlet manifold, icv and throttle body areas with the engine running if rpm jumps right up then you nowyou have air entering the system.

Andy

Club Member
Member of Honour
Reaction score
Ooooooh, I'll give those a try tomorrow for sure. Thanks buddy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)