Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

mk3 astra can i run r1 carbs on a motronic 2.8 ecu

Best answers
Reaction score
i have so many questions and i have been told many conflicting answers.Please could the all knowing gods of mechanical conbustion/electronis wizadry help. 1.can i run r1 carbs on a motronic 2.8 ihave a set of carbs with what i belive to a tps sensor? 2.if i go the turbo route would the afm/maf just need to be replaced for a map sensor or would there need to be a change of ecu and map sensor. 3.would it be possable to run a turbo through the carbs am i right in thinking that all that would be needed is bigger main jets in the carbs and a bit of welding and maybe a omex ecu. :redface: any information would be gratefully recieved.i also have a cosscast with dizzy would this be a better setup than 2.8 motronic:redface:

why would you want to use a Fuel Injection control unit, with no fuel injection?

You only need an Ignition control unit for Carbs.

good answer do you think i should just use the dizzy head and dump the rest

If using R1 carbs, then a turbo, presumably as you don't say different would be before the carbs, would most likely be a no no, depends how well sealed the carbs are, whether they have spindle seals and whether they have brass floats, if plastic floats forget it.
AFM/MAF can be used with turbo, but map sensor tends to work better with turbo.
Depending on what you are trying to achieve could be a long road to not very good results.
Any major change like this would be better with a aftermarket ecu, I run Emerald K3 myself, bike carbs despite what some say will not give the best gains/running over a set off purpose designed car tb's.
If you want get them then cut them up so you are just using the actual body as a tb.
You can get away with mapping purely on throttle angle, ie without a maf/afm or map sensor, just a tps but not ideal for the road, can be done though.
I'd look at www.emeraldm3d.com
These have been tested up to 44,000 rpm without losing accuracy, I run one on a cossie and after mapping by emerald picked up 150 miles per tank extra, and no I'm not bothered that some won't believe it, not important to me.
I run 403's(greys) and T34, and my idle emissions are 0.97% CO, 137ppm, that's with 180,000+ miles on the bottome end(done top), no cat nothing.
tabetha

Running a turbo with these carbs, is possible and it has been done:nod:, on bikes anyway.
To get vacuum carburetors to work with Turbo you need to pressurize them.
You need to pressurize above and below the diaphragms, you also need to pressurize the float bowls.
I suppose it would come down to, wether you have the knowledge, patience and enough disposable income??
Would be a cool and unique conversion though:cool:.

I did say likely as I was unaware of the R1 carbs sealing wise, which is what I said.
tabetha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back