Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Mk3 Astra Suspension set-up for the track.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some really good suspension setup advice.

I am building a Mk3 Astra track car. Here in South Africa VERY few people have used this car as a racing car, so I have very little to go on.
The rules for the class I am racing states that I can use any spring I like, but have to use standard road car shocks. So as you can image, this limits me terribly in regards to setup.

To start with, I am fitting 750 lb/in springs in the front, and 950 lb/in on the rear. No anti roll bar (sway bar) on the front, and the biggest anti roll bar I can find on the rear. I haven't given too much thought to the toe yet, but I will probably run a 1 deg toe out at the rear.

Apparently these cars tend to understeer more than the average?

Absolutely any suggestions or advise would be highly appreciated!

Cheers guys :)

Gareth

Club Member
Reaction score
Here in the UK we can get adjustable strut tops to let you adjust the camber and Castor. Gaz Coilovers custom made to your specifications. There's a couple of People put Coilovers on the rear too (body modifications required).

As for the rear ARB we can get 22mm and for the front 24mm (Rare)

But after reading your post your limited. Best option for you will be Bilstein Shocks Look at the B6 and B8 they are the next step from standard and the B4s

Reaction score
Yes, I have the camber/castor plates (Imported from the UK ;) )

We can only use Bilstein B4 shocks. Our hands are very tied!!

Reaction score
Hopefully this will give you an idea regards setup as the Astra mk3 is so similar to the mk2, but different also! I'm running GAZ Gold coilovers f+r with 400lb front and 350lb rear on my Astra mk2. Front ARB removed with rear having Eibach internal beam ARB and bolt-on 22mm external ARB. Front shock top mounts are Nova/Corsa eccentric (fully adjustable) Rose Joint with front wishbones Rose Joint giving full camber 2deg/caster 5deg adjustment.

The 5deg front caster does push the wheels forward a bit but still clear everything.

Running the front RJ wishbones I've had to add lock-stops to my steering rack so the wheels don't hit. I'm was already running a 2.5:1 manual quick rack but it's now dropped to 2:1 but not an issue as I've also got Corsa ePAS.

Reaction score
Hopefully this will give you an idea regards setup as the Astra mk3 is so similar to the mk2, but different also! I'm running GAZ Gold coilovers f+r with 400lb front and 350lb rear on my Astra mk2. Front ARB removed with rear having Eibach internal beam ARB and bolt-on 22mm external ARB. Front shock top mounts are Nova/Corsa eccentric (fully adjustable) Rose Joint with front wishbones Rose Joint giving full camber 2deg/caster 5deg adjustment.

The 5deg front caster does push the wheels forward a bit but still clear everything.

Running the front RJ wishbones I've had to add lock-stops to my steering rack so the wheels don't hit. I'm was already running a 2.5:1 manual quick rack but it's now dropped to 2:1 but not an issue as I've also got Corsa ePAS.

Thanks for the info Harvey :)

I'm most interested in your spring choice.
The "standard" way of thinking is harder springs at the back.

There's a club racer here who also runs a softer spring in the back and harder springs at the front. Everyone tells him he's wrong, but he normally wins the races!! HAHA!!

So what's your reason for running softer springs at the back?

Reaction score
I just like a softer compliant ride, it does handle amazingly well & way more capable then I am as a driver. Not as soft as you might think either.

Users who are viewing this thread