Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

MK3 heater resistor - how to replace it

Reaction score
Hi there,

As title says, i need to replace the heater resistor but i don't know how. Has anyone already replaced it? If yes, how is it made?

Thanks for any reply given

astranaut

North West & North Wales Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Open bonnet, pull the bonnet seal off from the back of the engine bay. Next pull the plastic cover from behind that between the 2 bonnet hinges. You should see a box now with a pollen filter on the top, 2 clips hold that in, best to replace while you're in there. Under that you'll see a black plug, and 2 wires with spade ends going to a small unit held in with 1 screw, can't remember what type of screw. There's not much excess wire and its pretty fiddly but not too hard a job. Pull it out, will probably be rusty as hell, and refitting is reversal of removal :)

Reaction score
I guess i see how to do it but, is there any thread here with pics for me to see the details of ir? Thanks in advance

Reaction score
As said above,

pop the bonnet
Pull the rubber seal off and th plastic cover
(Green arrow in the photo)

15A1626B-7B08-4361-9D5B-A3AA0EA62748.jpeg

you’ll see the pollen filter, remove that
The resistor pack is underneath the filter on n/s of car at front
354C7B10-9111-4BD7-95AC-57D7DD7371D0.jpeg

undo the tx20 torx screw (I think)
Disconnect the connector plug (this is disconnected) and the 2 other spade connections (the orange one and the brown one in photo above) these are a bit tricky, probably need long nosed pliers or equivalent.

then replace
3B7A8584-26A2-4A02-AFDC-3B75C9851181.png
There are a couple of variations, mine is a 5 pin connector. There is a 4 pin one too, may also be others, you’ll probably need to have a look before ordering replacement

hth

MrBird

Club Member
Reaction score
Best to use a torx screwdriver as I tried with a torx bit and almost lost i

MrBird

Club Member
Reaction score
Easy to do, done money about 3/4 times, just remember it's on an angle so need to turn as you lift.

The pollen filter in my (m o n d e o) you have to remove the glove box and detach the fuse box!

Users who are viewing this thread