Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Mk3 Project

What year is it? I don't suppose the inside of your Master Cinder looks like this? I'm led to believe that if it looks like this, i can then fit a 23,8mm Cavalier/Calibra turbo MC directly onto the mk3 servo. Below is the servo i require (Todd100's) which will adapt the 23.8MC. Todd100 has some info on this

This red servo is off my GSi, and i think the raised lip at
the rear pin/shaft will restrict the 22.8mm MC from fitting. Hope you can see the difference?

Hope you can be of assistance. Thank-you, Andy

So made a few rough brackets for the intercooler mount and also the oil cooler mount.

B14EFD6F-15C5-47D7-B384-17F0A33A1F75.jpeg

I’m waiting for the local pipe guy to get some tight 90 degree bends in to make up the pipes I need

Also removed the power steering setup, I’m going to fit Corsa b epas .

C712EBB3-9526-4533-BECF-23C86B9D10B2.jpeg
C8C12445-3F48-4450-946D-D41CCCFCC14A.jpeg

Definitely declutters the bay a bit.

Started looking at the wiring end while waiting for parts

I do have a loom adapter and It said I need
  • Fuel Pump
  • Permanent supply
  • ignition supply
  • RPM output to dash
  • Speed signal input from ABS or some other source
  • Engine management light
  • OBD k line
It gave me some colours to look for but done a quick search and within the old part of the loom as below , I have these 3 wires

232EAC80-048F-4B1C-8795-7763448824EF.jpeg
103BE96D-AB00-4E3D-A3C2-FFA23C9A543A.jpeg

I know mine has no abs so I’ve bought an orange speed relay and harness for a few quid so I can get the speed signal from that.

Where is the easiest to pick up the OBD , permanent and switched live?

So been collecting more parts

Got this corsa b EPAS yesterday
file-22.jpeg

Had a complete nightmare trying to get the bloody steering wheel off.

It would not budge at all, then the fella come out of the garage with some oxy acetylene and with the bit of heat and a couple more good thumps the wheels came off. Have to grind the end of the thread now and it mushroomed a bit.

Also got this pulley in the post today, just waiting for some materials to come to make a bracket for it.
file4-8.jpeg

Haven't updated in a while, been busy and bought another car

So first off i bought myself a vx220 turbo in europa blue, been after one of these for years and love it to bits
IMG_6397.jpg

So back onto the mk3

I got myslef a crank mount to do hold the pulley which i super job, its well made and very strong.

file-24.jpeg

file1-13.jpeg

I also got my ecu sorted to remove the security, T7 apc mod and also a bit of a map.

file2-10.jpeg

Started some of the wiring and i need to remove the column also to get the corsa b epas fitted and of course i pulled the plug off the key barrel and 2 springs and bits flew past me, so i have to get another on of them.

file9.png

Should have removed this screw ffs

file7-2.jpeg

I also got the rear beam from the Gsi blasted last week, there was a crazy amount of loose rust on it, had thought there would be a few holes but ended up very good. just need new gsi bearings now as i need the speed signal from the passengers rear to run the electronic clocks. .

file8-1.jpeg

I hope to get the wiring near sorted in the next week or so and maybe try and get it turned over.

I still need an exhaust and brakes.

Do i stay with the gsi setup or go with bigger setup?

Love the Vx220 its on my list to own one day

So had a spare hour yesterday evening and decided to remove the steering column as i needed to get the EPAS fitted to see where everything will go and sort wiring.

So the only bit of modification that i can see needs done is a bracket needs made to hold at the bottom.

I pulled the cage that was in mk3 gsi shell and then the column that was in my base car.

This is the GSI column cage

file2-11.jpeg

This is the one from my base car

file5-5.jpeg

file7-3.jpeg

So i need to cut off the bracket and get it welded to the circular plate that is at the bottom of the EPAS shaft connection.

The only other difference i can see is that the key barrel is facing a different direction, the EPAS is angled and mk3 looks to be straight so ill have to try and get it slotted in later and see will it work within the steering cowl.

things look like they haven't moved in a while but i have the EPAS fitted and nearly all of the wiring complete.

Just need to get cables to the passengers side rear for the abs sensor and that should be the clocks and the epas working.

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpgIMG_2092.jpg

It took serious time in cutting and moving things about to get it into the correct position.. must of had the column in and out 100 times.

Was ready to pull my hair out by the end of it, but i got the column in the correct place and got the phase one key barrel to work in the phase 1 cowling.

I also managed to get another ignition switch after my stupidity and pulled the old one off the original column and it flying off in bits around me.

IMG_2104.jpg

I also managed to come by a gsi rubber splitter which needs a bit of attention with a few wee splits.

There's a guy i know not too far away who welds plastic and told me to bring it upto him to see what he can do.

IMG_2103.jpg

I have a few silicone pipes on order which i need to get fitted for the coolant system

I also bought a universal fan to mount to the saab radiator

s-l1600.jpg

I had really hoped to be a lot further on in this project by now but getting the time to do the work can be hard.

The only other difference i can see is that the key barrel is facing a different direction, the EPAS is angled and mk3 looks to be straight so ill have to try and get it slotted in later and see will it work within the steering cowl.

You have to cut the upper end of the mk3 column off that has the key barrel on it and weld the corsa flange to it to retain the original barrel position

Just catching up with threads on the forum.
I to would love a workshop like that and great to here what you have done so far. Two things i need to ask.
Firstly i need to Retrim the front seats in my 1.8 Cesaro. They look exactly like the GSI ones you were going to have trimmed. Did you get yours done and where ?
Also looking to put a smaller engine in the Cesaro. Remove the 1.8 and put something smaller like a 1.4 to allow my boy to start driving after he passes his test. Is the 1.4 a good engine to fit or will something smaller be possible and fairly easy to swap ?

I to would love a workshop like that and great to here what you have done so far. Two things i need to ask.
Firstly i need to Retrim the front seats in my 1.8 Cesaro. They look exactly like the GSI ones you were going to have trimmed. Did you get yours done and where ?
Also looking to put a smaller engine in the Cesaro. Remove the 1.8 and put something smaller like a 1.4 to allow my boy to start driving after he passes his test. Is the 1.4 a good engine to fit or will something smaller be possible and fairly easy to swap ?

I would imagine the engine would be an easy enough swop if you get everything with the engine.

I havent got the seats trimmed yet. Im going to leave it to the end to make sure they dont get damaged. I dont imagine it would be a big deal for any decent trimmer.

I used a local company up the road from me before to retrim some porsche tombstone seats and they were great.

The effort, cost, time and faff to do that is totally pointless. If you want him to use a mk3 buy another plenty about and be a lot less problematic. Also the implications of tax / insurance may make it problematic for your son to drive it so would be a waste of time

Havent updated this in a while.

Have ben working away and annoying a good few people here with questions so sorry for that.

So got some 288 calipers and some mtech discs
42EEC0AF-1DCE-49ED-B95B-298023BA5597.jpg

got the oil cooler housing modified and plumbed up

59EAA32C-3751-4192-90AD-2FCA988BB5F8.jpg

Got the pipes for the steering rack modified. was told to vent them and not block off so got one of the oil breathers and some rubber pipe to sort it out.

IMG_6757.jpg

Got a fan thermostat plumbed up and wired

IMG_6758.jpg

Bought a walbro pump but havent fitted yet

F494CD46-D269-4B60-905E-CD02A60FAE26.jpg

Everything all piped up and clips on and fluids in

B287696D-9AD5-4073-A38D-FA23BF94959C.jpg

Then last night finally got round to its first start in nearly 3 years of tinkering with it.

probably lots of other bits but it hopefully brings upto date.

Just need to put shafts in, brakes plumbed up steering wheel on and its ready for a very short drive out the doors of the garage.

Need an exhaust yet before i drive it anywhere though.

No was talking to him and a few others and I think the outcome was to empty most of the oil and either bung with a breather or join both. I just stuck this breather on it , saves any dirt getting in.

Think you just need to keep the rack lubed a bit.

Andy_Mk3 it was me that told him to vent them. I don't think u can just loop the pipes because of heat expansion, u would end up pressurising the system, the same reason the resivour lid is a breather. When I ran a pas rack I just went lock to lock untill it stopped throwing oil out, then put little bits of pipe on so it could breath.

Putting a breather on like this is a much better solution! Very well done.

Good progress mate!

Cheers lads , just need an exhaust now .

Been talking to a guy that can make me one but unsure if I need the centre silencer or not .

I’ve kept the Saab cat of MOT purposes.

What have any of you guys done ?

Ah fair enough!!

I would go with a centre silencer personally. Mine is 3" all the way through with 2 silencers and it's still plenty loud enough, but it's not horrible.

MOT.. depends on how nice of a tester you can find tbh :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back