Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

MOT Q&A's please.

Astraguy09

Joint South Central Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
Right, car is booked for MOT on Wednesday have the following questions;

Firstly,

its steaming something mad, there is no other sign of HG failure, no loss of coolant, no bubbles in coolant, not overheating, no mayo, no fuel in the coolant, there is a tiny bubble sound when idling however I cant always hear it. This going to affect the emissions??

Secondly,

Have moisture in the NS indicator and fog lamp, is this going to cause an issue??

Thirdly,

the spare tyre is a differnt size to the tyres on the car (195/55/15 rather than 185/55/15) I know take it out means its not tested but if I leave it in there is it going to cause issues?

Lastly

the rear bench looks like its not going to get finished in time for the test, can I just take out the upright sections or have the whole lot got to be out?? (not there not tested!!)

Thanks in advance.

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
Right, car is booked for MOT on Wednesday have the following questions;

Firstly,

its steaming something mad, there is no other sign of HG failure, no loss of coolant, no bubbles in coolant, not overheating, no mayo, no fuel in the coolant, there is a tiny bubble sound when idling however I cant always hear it. This going to affect the emissions??

Depends on what the problem is really. If it's just steam then chances are it wont effect the emissions.
Secondly,

Have moisture in the NS indicator and fog lamp, is this going to cause an issue??

They will just be advised on.

Thirdly,

the spare tyre is a differnt size to the tyres on the car (195/55/15 rather than 185/55/15) I know take it out means its not tested but if I leave it in there is it going to cause issues?

That will be fine like that.

Lastly

the rear bench looks like its not going to get finished in time for the test, can I just take out the upright sections or have the whole lot got to be out?? (not there not tested!!)

I'm not 100% sure, although I think they will have to be completely removed, it could be failed on the seat being incomplete otherwise.

Astraguy09

Reaction score
Depends on what the problem is really. If it's just steam then chances are it wont effect the emissions.

I have no idea why there is so much steam, there isn't any HG symptoms yet its always there?!

They will just be advised on.

Good!!

That will be fine like that.

Marvelous!!
I'm not 100% sure, although I think they will have to be completely removed, it could be failed on the seat being incomplete otherwise.

Righto then, whole lot out it is!!

Reaction score
Steam could be down to weather conditions, mine steams like a train till it's warmed up. As yours will be by the time they get round to doing the emissions.
Mine is in for it's test tomorrow, well today now, will let you know the result........
Phil.

joycey

South Central Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
Ohhhhh mines almost ready for its mot too! Fingers crossed everybody lol :D

Reaction score
when you say fog light do you mean front? If so it's not covered in the MOT.

The indicator may fail dependant on the severity of the fogging.

As Joycey says, rear belts out as well.

Reaction score
steaming always occurs in mine too. jus a common thing with astra's i'm guessing m8y

Reaction score
Well, my motor passed the MOT with flying colours.............And seeing as I helped my mate to do 4 other MOT's, I got mine done for nothing. Result !!!!

Astraguy09

Reaction score
Bonus phill!!

There isn't much fogging, however if it fails on it its only a quick swap!!

Got the part to fit the rear seats tonight so im getting that sorted out, not going to have to take them out (fingers crossed!)

jono_astra

East Midlands Regional Co-ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
just check that you might have to have some sort of test for the rear seats to take passengers in now as you would of only had the test for the drivers and passenger seat.

Reaction score
Only thing checked on rear seats, apart from the seat belts, is that the back of the seat is secure, like the catches hold the seat in place.

Reaction score
The rear seat squab(sit on bit) is also or should be checked for security.
If you drill a few 3mm holes in the bottom edge of the front indicator lenses it stops 100% of the steaming.
tabetha

Users who are viewing this thread