Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

My 1.4 Merit - GSI

Kev_mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Kids who'd have them hey! Oh wait us lol they do take a lot of your time up lol

astranaut

North West & North Wales Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
So today was the day, and predictably:-

Rust i expected, main beam was a bad connection, fog light was a blown bulb. The emissions was an air leak that I'd been after for a while, and was duly fixed with new vac pipe, which also brought my idle down to below 1k and made it stop popping and farting at idle. The strange one was the master cylinder. It definitely wasn't leaking before it went and I've never had any brake creep. We couldn't get the pedal to creep, and whilst the servo was damp, it didn't look like a leak from anywhere. My mechanic phoned the station, and after a lengthy conversation worked out that one fella doing the MOT had lifted the cap to check the level, spilt it down the servo, his assistant noticed this and failed it as a leak. The assistant had also presumed that if it was leaking, the pedal would be **** without actually trying it. So one annoyed tester later, one relieved me that didn't have to fork out on a new master cylinder, although I will keep an eye on it, and a small choppy choppy weldy weldy time later it was good for retest about 14.00. Then I snapped the handbrake cable parking it outside :D one duly procured from the last factors on the list (noone stocks them any more) and it got a pass. Need to find the advisory oil leak, and my exhaust centre section is well past its sell by date, but will sort these in thr next few weeks. Very happy and still surprised, most of the fails were rectified in minutes, and the rust i knew was there. Did get bigger after we had a poke though.

So all good for another year, and i stuck my noisy backbox on when I got home :)

Kev_mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Nice one least it has a pass now

astranaut

Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Today marks the start of a full week off work (its been a while) so me and daughter no2 gave my Irmscher wheels a quick refurb. Normally I sing the praises of App Gloss White from Halfords, but today it was absolutely wibblepoo. I was in a warm garage, with a warmed up can, and it had the consistency of water. Plenty of runs, so they definitely need redoing but got to the stage where I'd have really ruined them. Not sure if I like them or not, but the GSi wheels are also in dire need of a refurb. Still looking for a set of 17s, the right set is yet to come along. Also scrubbed back and waxoyled anything I could get to in the arches and underneath while changing them, didn't take pics as it was dark and id had enough :D its had its first run since the MOT to my mums (she's disabled so I'm her bubble) seems really hesitant, ive done thr plugs and leads, had the ignition timing checked and found all the vac leaks, would a dizzy cap and rotor arm that needs replacing cause it? I'm having issues finding a matching pair to go on it.

astranaut

Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Been back to the garage today, you have no idea how hard it is to find the right distributor cap for what is really not that rare a car, I got quoted 68 plus vat from one supplier, ended up phoning through all my mechanics suppliers and one was found on a dusty shelf, for 11 quid. That and the rotor arm were in dire need of changing, he also adjusted my handbrake up properly, we just threw the cable on to get it through the retest, and while it was on the ramp I dropped the oil and did the filter as well. Also bought this marvellous piece of 90s McDonalds carparkness:-

I'm hoping this gives what is a terrible stereo system a helping hand, ive got a decent head unit, and standard speakers which are tragic, trouble is on an Astra they have to be really shallow which limits choice on aftermarket and I'm absolutely useless at craft, so making adaptors is beyond me :D we'll see anyway when the wiring kit turns up.

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
oooo yeaaaaa love a sub woofer! the mk3 stereo system is terrible and tbh even change the headunit and all the speakers, you can't get decent base from them! A sub and amp is going back in my car cause i think they are a must in 90's hatches lol. got mine in a false floor!

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
Glad you decided to persevere with it mate! At least it got through the MOT not too badly, but on that note..

My mechanic phoned the station, and after a lengthy conversation worked out that one fella doing the MOT had lifted the cap to check the level, spilt it down the servo, his assistant noticed this and failed it as a leak. The assistant had also presumed that if it was leaking, the pedal would be **** without actually trying it.

This is absolutely shocking! The tester is not allowed to remove the cap at all, furthermore the assistant shouldn't be failing anything they are there purely to operate lights, steering, brakes etc, it's the tester that should be testing things. I'm a tester and this stuff boils my **** tbh :lol: I can't stand by anyone that doesn't do things properly in that respect.

That sub looks epic btw :lol:

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Glad you decided to persevere with it mate! At least it got through the MOT not too badly, but on that note..

This is absolutely shocking! The tester is not allowed to remove the cap at all, furthermore the assistant shouldn't be failing anything they are there purely to operate lights, steering, brakes etc, it's the tester that should be testing things. I'm a tester and this stuff boils my **** tbh :lol: I can't stand by anyone that doesn't do things properly in that respect.

That sub looks epic btw :lol:
I ******* love that sub, its so 90's

astranaut

Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Another wheeled update. Fancied some 17s again, couldn't find any i liked, well I could but I wasn't spending 500 on wheels on a 500 car :D then these Pentas turned up, 2 new tyres 2 good ones for 120 delivered. Being Vaux they fit properly, I thought they might be too modern for it but I really like them, they're in good nick too.

Last edited:

Kev_mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Tigra wheels look ace. As do Corsa D LE wheels I think

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Another wheeled update. Fancied some 17s again, couldn't find any i liked, well I could but I wasn't spending 500 on wheels on a 500 car :D then these Pentas turned up, 2 new tyres 2 good ones for 120 delivered. Being Vaux they fit properly, I thought they might be too modern for it but I really like them, they're in good nick too.

Tell you what mate they really suit it! Are they tigra wheels or mk5 astra?

astranaut

Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Sorry didn't see that, yeah they're off a Tigra.

astranaut

Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Week off this week, Mondeo is in for MOT Thursday (is it just me that books holidays around the cars MoT?) So gave that a deep clean, pretty much good to go. I've spent a few hours here and there patching up and gluing back together my other GSi bumper that got dragged off a few months ago, I hate having a foglight bumper, sick of being asked where they are or when I'm getting some, they command silly money now (which is why I sold them in the first place) and wouldn't work even if I had them. So spent yesterday giving it a ghetto paint job and slapped it on today. Splitter isn't sitting right but thats absolutely shagged anyway, and they unobtainable on their own, or decent money attached to a bumper - even more if that bumper has foglights :D i really need a white 1.8 GSi bumper to come along, and I really need to find my unmodified tow eye cover, not spending 60 on another :D All running tickety boo now, had a new Sportex mid section last week as well, got 11 years out the last one but was pinholed everywhere.

astranaut

Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Tbf it fell off about 4 years ago, but I was so broke my friend welded it back together then reinforced it, did quite a good job actually :D

They are getting pricey, another reason i wish I didn't do it but 10 years ago I bought an engine less GSi for 100 quid, my seats were 30 and not in bad nick, and think the entire body kit was 100...

Users who are viewing this thread