Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

My Astra 1.4 Atlantis Blue

Best answers
Reaction score
Hey guys, so as i'm thinking of doing more to my astra thought I would start a diary, this is probs going to be one of the slowest diary's there is but ahh well.

Had the car getting on for a year and half now but only just decided to start doing anything to it, still not sure if i'm going to keep it as the MOT is due in a couple of months :redface: but i got some ideas if it passes.

Was my sis's car before me. Just before i got the car a couple of bad mechanics got their hands on it ( my sis's bf and his dad) I will give them some credit as they did fix the problems with it but most of what they did i've had to re-fix :doh:
Some of the problems were the carb breaking so lots of money on fuel until it was fixed, head and sump gaskets going, power stearing pipes and pump, tapets needed resetting, couple of the spark plugs ballsed up, dizzy cap and rotary arm went and a couple of other minor things. I need to replace the sump gasket and I think the head gasket but I will leave for now until after mot as i'm not 100% sure about head gasket as the oil leak isn't toooo bad :lol:

Havn't got any photo's of what i've done as didn't really think about it but will from now on.

So here we go, this is a bad photo I know but it's the only one i have from when i got it.
SnowCar.jpg

Basicaly the same now on exterior but am planning to debadge and bebump next weekend if i have the time. Also i did kinda crash into a bush as the end of my road so I have had to replace the off side front wing, headlight and indicator, also i replaced the bonnet as the paint job was CRAP! Got all those bits for £45 from scrappy and it was all in same colour...Atlantis blue =D

Today i got on with putting white dials in. I was going to do all 3 white but then decided to go just 2 white and leave middle 1 as i think it looks better. What everyone think? Oh and i'v put blue LED's in as well, althought in the process i managed to break the recirculate air button but thats all fixed now. :laugh:

Before
P1000402.jpg

During
P1000404.jpg

After
P1000405.jpg

Back in Car
P1000410.jpg

And with lights on
P1000412.jpg

Will get photo's of me debadgeing and bebumping depending on how well it goes!

Last edited:
it looks like you stuck the new dial faces over the old ones?

Like the BBS alloys, did yours always have a rev counter? as mine is a 1.4 doesnt have one, have got some coming with the rev counter in but are they just plug and play? Some say yes some say no, useful to find someone who has done it!!

Neve'o - yea, just stuck them on with pritt stick, nice and easy, do you think they look alright?
astranaut - always had the alloys, and always had rev counter, sorry, but i think they are plug and play, if you got 2 plugs plus speedo cable at the back of your speedo's then i'd say yes they are. If im right in thinking, one does the fuel and temp gauges and the other does revs. The fuel/temp plug goes verticle to the right of the speedo cable and the rev goes horizontal to the left of the speedo cable I need to get a couple new tyers for my alloys tho as i poped one on a kerb the other day and one has a very slow puncture, with any luck my mate can get me some cheap as he works for a garage!

ah right never mind. i'm told on here by people with them they are plug and play, garages say other wise. Clocks were free though so can't moan. Tidy car though mate!!

cheers, will look even better if i get round to bebadging and bebumping. Got a few plans for it but i dont have much time as i do a 45 hour week and im also studying ontop of that!
I want to get more power under the bonnet somewhen but insurance is still sky high, £900 this year on a 1.4 standard and thats with 1 yr no claims on it! Suckage! lol

Neve'o - yea, just stuck them on with pritt stick, nice and easy, do you think they look alright?

They would look better if you removed the old ones first as it will allow the light to come though properly imo, It looks like you have the mk3 cav ones as the litres on the fuel tank is different and the position of 90 degrees on the temp gauge.

Neve'o - I think i may do that but it's more effort, will see how much time i got this weekend. They said astra/cav one's but it's ok, i dont really look at them gauges and when i do i just look at how far down my petrol is and for when the light comes on!

Hmmm well we all make our mistakes, basically i've had those white dials and they were the biggest fail ever with blue led's i couldn't see anything at night, my speed, the temp or how much fuel i had left. Was a joke. So the white dial faces have come off now.

Blue leds look much better with the plain black faces. You shouldn't have removed the needles but tbh when i changed mine without intentionally removing the needles my fuel gauge needle fell off anyway and still worked right?!

You should remove the dial faces underneath if you plan on keeping the white ones as now the surface below the needles is raised and may prevent full movement of the needles. Also removing the black dial faces may allow a bit more light through.

The alloys look nice :thumb: I also think leaving the centre face black was a good chioce, seen it done before and i think it looks alright.

i got white dials and there fine and look good im not even goging to say how i put them on cos it was a faf about and a half

in the middle of redoing dails properly with decend card and photoshop to get the petrol liter right and the temp in the right place, am going to take black rev and temp ones out and pop my decent white ones in, i even put a vauxhall logo on them, will see how they turn out. Managed to get speedo right now, used a sat nav and a nice long dual carrage way with no speed camera's on! Debumped today as well, took forever as i didnt use a toffee wheel, just elbow greece but looks mint. photo's will be on tomorrow with some luck.

dials look good, hope they light up well when they are in too :thumb:

Thanks Neve'o - just been and poped them back in so i could see what they are like in the dark, not amazing atall, but they look good in daylight, so i either have bad looking ones in daylight and okish in the night or brilliant in the day and not too bad at night. First time i used photo shop, not a bad effort me thinks.

The debumping doesnt look as spectacular as i thought it would but ah well, next thing i need is some colour coded bumper, that should improve it a bit i think.

Im not sure if i want to go for gsi kit because so many people have got it already....think just colour code to start with anyways. Any ideas anyone?

Good polish and colour code the bumpers! Love the car though, wish i hadnt scrapped my Atlantis Blue one and got a van :(

good base to start with there looks so much better with the bump strips off
si

Cheers man, I got a few plans for it...not many at the mo but...
lower 40 mm?
Paint Calipers Blue?!?
Debadge - Will have a go at weekend if it's nice
Defo colour code the bumpers, anyone got any???
Same with mirrors and maybe spoiler?
Black interior, i tried some vinal spray on the fuse box cover, worked really well! so will use that
Decent aerial, will take old one out and smooth old hole.
Need to sort some rust out on the boot, only a small patch but it's still rust!
Hammerite the brake pipes as they have bit of surface corrosion
The engine bay need a good clean!
Head Gasket need doing and maybe sump gasket...
Needs a bit of tlc but will get her nice and shiney, mot is due in a month so will start some decent work on it depending on how well it goes...:hang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back