My Astra Mk 3

Reaction score
Another newbie here, well I'm not really, this is my 3rd Astra I've in the past had a MK2 1600, with gte body kit, a MK 3 1600 3 door and recently I got this one a dark blue 1.4 LS,
How I got it is a bit of a story I used to build kit cars, and had one as my daily, except it spent more time under repair/ rebuild( it was ford based) :lol: so I decided I needed something I could drive and not think, am I going to break down or not So I didn't have much of a budget so it would be something in need of work, so I started looking locally and on Ebay I came across this Astra, £140 buy it now, 10 months MOT looked at the Advert, saw it was actually where I grew up I still had a brother who lived there so I called him, can you look at a car for me? told him the post code. he laughed and said, do you know where that is, its just across the road, off a cud de sac , so he looked, said its really dirty, but has a full service history so I hit the button, it was now mine I a week later went back to Woking, and got my brother to pick me up from the station, we went I paid the money got the car and took it round to my brothers where I could have a good look, it needed a good clean, but was sound, main dealer history, drive belt changed at 70,000 (
98,000 on the clock ran very clean, so I brought it home a 80 mile drive, didn't miss a beat , I then gave it a good clean, inside and out and its in very good condition, it has the 8v engine not the 16, and is sluggish but its ok, first MOT, it sailed through, needed passenger side mirror glass, Mot last year needed 4 new tires, and a front indicator lens, on the advisories were oil leak from rocker cover, both rear brake hoses showing signs of rusting and leaking power steering rack All of those I am aiming to tackle this year. pictures to follow

Reaction score
Welcome Martin. Sounds like that car had your name on it! Long may it give you good service :)

Reaction score
Well so far its never let me down, touch wood, its got me anywhere I need to go, being 1.4. its never going to be fast off the lights, I've taken it on several long runs now, from Hastings to Ilfracombe for a family wedding, to Swindon for family get togethers, its very cheap on petrol, I think on the North Devon run, I filled up and still had 1/4 of a tank left and that was going the scenic route, non M4/ M5 until taunton, I do have some work I need to do before the next MOT in October, replace the steering rack,( refurbished one waiting to go in) both rear brake pipes, and a service to do,

Reaction score
wheres the year gone!! still got the Astra and its been 100 per cent reliable not let me down once, I still have last years advisories to do, except the oil leak , I did an oil change, cleaned up the engine bay no leak, hopefully going to do rear hoses this week, but the ones fitted are not rusty, but the metal round them had light corrosion, which I cleaned and undersealed, the steering rack I cleaned the muck of, and its not leaking, and doesn't feel to have got any worse , no play I can feel, I do have the Calibra rack, but its going to be a nightmare to change, as I will need to adapt the Mk3 column to take a MK4 lower link , or try to find an adaptor that enables a later rack to be used with an earlier column. so i'm going to change the rear flexi's, because I have them anyway, but the steering rack I will have to take a chance on, and hope its just an advisory .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)