Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

new member on here need the correct tow bar !!

Best answers
Reaction score
Hi All
I am a new member and a retired classic car restorer
I am not on social media which has proved a problem on here but i will persevere !
Last year i purchased a superb one owner MK 3 astra F 1997 GL 1600 16v 4 door from an elderly gentleman who had kept it in a heated garage .This car would be our summer run about ,but unfortunately i have hit a problem and i need some advice .We need a tow bar on the car as we have a Thule bike rack and love to take the bikes to the forest where its safer to ride .
I have tried in vain to get the correct tow bar even the fitter has tried ,Watling tow bars sent the incorrect bar even though they insisted it was the right one for this model but were good enough to refund the cost and my fitter had the incorrect one sent to him and had to refund me . It would seem the boot floor pan is different to other MK 3 astras the only one that would fit is from Bosal but the company no longer exists Part no 017-852 type Nr -30A 1991 -2004 .None of the other tow bars listed by companies for this car fit it.
Has anyone come across this before i would not normally fit a tow bar on a classic but the bosal design is removable and does not involve cutting the bumper plus we dont intend to tow anything else . ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED . Thanks Richard

Evening,
I have been looking for a tow bar for my 1996 estate - had exactly the same problem as yourself.
I think the only thing to do is to see if one pops up on Ebay.
I have been looking for 3 years or so , with no joy ...
If I hear anything I will pass the info on,
Best of luck

Thank you for that Scott
Its a real problem, i am thinking of contacting Bosal in Belgium to see if they can fabricate one.
What i dont understand is why do so many manufacturers of towbars list them as availiable for this car and when they arrive they do not resemble the profile of the boot floor ?
Watlings say they will manufacture almost any tow bar and were adamant that the one they sent me was the one listed for the car but when my fitter offered it up to the chassis it was way out, having been in the car body trade myself i crawled underneath and sure enough there was no way it would fit.
The fitter then ordered one himself from another manufacturer and then when i took the car in again said you wont believe it this one does not fit either !
So back to square one,if i find anything i will let you know . regards Rick

I wonder if a decent metal fabricator could make something ?
Going to see if I can find anyone local to me .... fingers crossed , you never know !
Cheers,
Scott

I wonder if a decent metal fabricator could make something ?
Going to see if I can find anyone local to me .... fingers crossed , you never know !
Cheers,
Scott
Found one and they have it in stock ! Only problem is its sold by "Rameder "in germany which is part of "oris/ Autodoc "".went on their site BUT they do not post to the UK they do however post to Ireland though .
E,mailed the director (no response) and their sales team told me the item is too heavy to post !
The part you need looks like Auto-Hak rigid towbar part no 143785-00388-1.
The main bar fits INSIDE the boot and is bolted to the inner floor on both sides and through the back panel.
On another note it seems parts are becoming harder to find for these cars left hand drive shafts seem non existant .
Regards Rick

Hi All
I am a new member and a retired classic car restorer
I am not on social media which has proved a problem on here but i will persevere !
Last year i purchased a superb one owner MK 3 astra F 1997 GL 1600 16v 4 door from an elderly gentleman who had kept it in a heated garage .This car would be our summer run about ,but unfortunately i have hit a problem and i need some advice .We need a tow bar on the car as we have a Thule bike rack and love to take the bikes to the forest where its safer to ride .
I have tried in vain to get the correct tow bar even the fitter has tried ,Watling tow bars sent the incorrect bar even though they insisted it was the right one for this model but were good enough to refund the cost and my fitter had the incorrect one sent to him and had to refund me . It would seem the boot floor pan is different to other MK 3 astras the only one that would fit is from Bosal but the company no longer exists Part no 017-852 type Nr -30A 1991 -2004 .None of the other tow bars listed by companies for this car fit it.
Has anyone come across this before i would not normally fit a tow bar on a classic but the bosal design is removable and does not involve cutting the bumper plus we dont intend to tow anything else . ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED . Thanks Richard
Hello ricky doo, are you still in need of a towbar as I have one from my Mk3 GLS Hatchback for sale at £25?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back