Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Nige's Reiger Astra with Saab Power

Best answers
Reaction score
Ok well a few people know about this project and the work has now begun as ive quit my job in retail and my workshop has its new ramps fitted and ive only got one major job on at the moment so had a few hours spare the other day so dropped the engine out of the saab

it is a b204 lump which is a 2.0 litre turbo saab engine with 190BHP it is a Sensonic model which has covered just over 100'000 miles which is nothing for the car or the engine the service history is very good and the car drives very nice and has good power

here is the astra with the donor SAAB 900
05102008001.jpg

the engine is going to be fitted first and all the problems ironed out then the engine will be removed again and have some work done and some upgrade parts fitted such as TD04 turbo and bigger injectors and new cam chain by PV/ billing i should be at about 300BHP maybe 400BHP:o

these engines are very well designed and i have spent a very long time doing a lot of research on these engines and the possible problems that i will come up against some of these that i will list below

the plan is to fit the engine ECU and gearbox and use the saab driveshafts as well as ive been stripping this car im finding more and more similarities between the astra and the saab

so here is the pics of the engine removal
02022009132.jpg

02022009133.jpg

02022009134.jpg

02022009135.jpg

02022009136.jpg

04022009149.jpg

04022009154.jpg

05022009155.jpg

05022009156.jpg

05022009158.jpg

05022009159.jpg

05022009160.jpg

05022009161.jpg

05022009162.jpg

ok so thats all the pics so now some info about changes im gonna make to the astra so the engine will fit

it has a senonic gearbox fitted to the car which is a manual box with no clutch pedal so it has a complex cylinder and ecu to control the clutch by reading from 3 sensors on the gearbox i have combated this by fitting a saab 9-3 hydrallic clutch pedal which will just plumb into the standard hydrallic clutch cylinder and the gear linkages look ok and the sonsors i can just order balnks for from vaux

The other major problem i have is that the astra has a mechanical speedo from the gearbox where as the saab trionic(engine management) needs a speed signal so to run the engine this is taken from the ABS system and this is where the speedo gets its signal from, to combat this im going to fit the nearside abs sensor and the rings are allready on the driveshafts and the ABS ECU will be fitted and feed the signal back to the trionic ECU

Auxilary belt = the car had all the mod cons so air con and power steering where as the astra doesnt nor do i want them, removing the air con pump and rerouting the belt for that i can order from saab but i dont need the power steering pump this is still a problem we havent solved but we may just fit the pump to the engine with a short u shaped pipe and reservoir as the pump is lubricated by the power steering fluid but we will see what else i can do, the auxillary belt also runs the water pump and oil pump so its got to be working right

im going to be mapping the car myself with the help of a program called T5 suite i have shown kev mk3 how easy this is and it makes other cars look rubbish and the fact im going to be able to live map the car will be great, ive nearly finished my car pc which will run the mapping while im driving and also monitor all the engine sensors without haveing to have 20 dials on my dash

im also going to be fitting the saab 9-3 brakes all round as these are quite cheap and a good size through the correct supplies

im sorry i have written so much but wanted to cover most of the questions that i was going to get asked if anyone has any questions i will do my best to answer them

im not on here that much as im currently doing this and i have no internet at home at the moment

These are seeming popular lumps to use now for cheapish power, there's one going in or may be in by now a mk3 van on MIG and another but can't remember what into :nod:

Should be fun when it's all done though :thumb:

These are seeming popular lumps to use now for cheapish power, there's one going in or may be in by now a mk3 van on MIG and another but can't remember what into :nod:

Should be fun when it's all done though :thumb:

yes the guy on mig is called deek but he is having a lot of problems as he has used a 9000 2.3 lump and its to tall and reads the speedo from a different system i tried to speak to him but he brushed off my questions

the 2.3 Turbo has been fitted and is running in at least two Vauxhalls that I know of - although I don't know much (if anything) about them as the owners are keepnig the projects quiet ready to unveil at PV/Billing. At least one has a mag write-up in the pipeline as well so expect more news soon enough. One is an Astra, the other's a Veccy B...

Glad you've finally started a thread i can take the :tape: off now.;)

m going to be mapping the car myself with the help of a program called T5 suite i have shown kev mk3 how easy this is and it makes other cars look rubbish and the fact im going to be able to live map the car will be great, ive nearly finished my car pc which will run the mapping while im driving and also monitor all the engine sensors without haveing to have 20 dials on my dash
I remember you showing me how easy that was and a cool bit of kit it is too.:nod:

woow that different , theres a saab 900 turbo in the scrap yard near me , hope it all goes well

Awww nige you spoilt our secret now :( As for Deek's estate hes given up as he spat his dummy out :lol:

Its going to be awesome as my mates tuned saab we built was rapid so i know what there like :D you need a hand let me know like i said ;)

very interesting

Awww nige you spoilt our secret now :( As for Deek's estate hes given up as he spat his dummy out :lol:

Its going to be awesome as my mates tuned saab we built was rapid so i know what there like :D you need a hand let me know like i said ;)

That was mainly because of me i think. He didnt want anyone els to do the conversion although it was on 2 forums that i know of lol
Never mind lmao

Anyway good luck with the conversion mate. Regarding your turbo choice. Wouldnt a TD05 be a better upgrade to make 300 - 400 bhp. The TDo4 is fiited to Evo's and scoobys. There upgrade is either a TD05 or T67.

sounds like a really cool project esp with the pc specially built for the car.........subscribed :thumb:

My mums got a Saab 900s non turbo and that does not half pull well so the turbo should be good in your Astra!

Gonna keep watching this :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back