OBD2 Issue

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a '97 Astra F 1.6 Arctic auto with an intermittent EML. I have one of those cheap Chinese code readers, Memoscan U480 but it's refusing to link to the OBD port, just keeps coming up with "linking error". Does anyone know a cheap code reader that will link to the model mentioned. I've got three weeks to the MOT and would like to find out the problem pretty quick. My local main dealer want's £85 to do a diagnostic but I'd rather find out myself, especially if it turns out to be something and nothing. Cheers for any info.

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
I've not had trouble with OBD readers before with MK3's. I have a cheap generic one that always worked fine. Your other option is so read the flash codes, explained here: Topbuzz Web Site - Technical Information - ECU Fault Codes @ www.topbuzz.co.uk

It basically involves a paper clip to bridge two of the OBD pins. You turn the ignition on and the EML will flash your fault codes up.

With it being an intermittent EML, I would suspect it might be the O2 sensor at fault.

Reaction score
Thank's for that Andy, and yeah it had crossed my mind it might be something to do with that. It might be my code reader that's busted, I'll get a new one but I'll have a bash at the flash codes first. Much appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)