Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Oil catch tank AND a breather box?!

Andy

Club Member
Member of Honour
Best answers
Reaction score
Evening chaps and chapettes.

When I was checking the breather pipes while trying to fix this poor running, I noticed some mayonaisey sludge in the front breather (the one at the front of the cam cover) and a couple of drips of water from the larger rear one, and a LOT of coking in the smaller one.
I know the head gasket hasn't gone pop (yet :heh:), this is just some trapped moisture in the system. But having this sh*te being blown back into the engine obviously can't be too good, so I've bought myself a catch tank and some new hoses.

My question is...

I've got one of those 'breather boxes' sitting here gathering dust, and wondered if it would be a bit over kill fitting this as well as the catch tank. I know they pretty much do the same job, but just thought I'd get a second opinion before I buy the hose for it.

This is what I'm talking about for those that might not know.

full

Thanks.

i reckon it won't be overkill, not too sure it will make much difference but fitting new hoses is never going to hurt anything so i would say go for it!

Try it, not going to hurt and if it does nothing you can always remove it..... never fitted one myself but they were used by GM for a reason obviously so know issue with mayo.

that box was fitted to later models to help breath. I'd fit one does no harm

That's sorted then. Thanks peeps. :yo:

I bought all the the hoses last night.
My sphincter is still recovering from how much this has all cost so far (The tank, AN fittings, hoses, alloy pipes, hose clamps), it all adds up extremely quickly.

That's sorted then. Thanks peeps. :yo:

I bought all the the hoses last night.
My sphincter is still recovering from how much this has all cost so far (The tank, AN fittings, hoses, alloy pipes, hose clamps), it all adds up extremely quickly.

You can make them cheap enough.....

I hated the crank fumes getting pulled into the car though so the one I'm running now is below (again, fitted next to power steering res)-

I'm pretty sure the box at the top is an oil separator. But either way it wont hurt at all to fit both.

Yep, it's sealed but basically a baffle / metal scourer inside.

Breather on mine comes out the rocker cover, a pipe goes down the back of the engine and under the car, job done :lol:

Oldschool road draft tube ;) I got so fed up of all the smells and just decided to fit a tank and have it pulled back into the intake, been running it ever since my re-build (after the melted pistons), never had to empty and no trace of any oil actually in the tank and very little in the way of water so I'm very happy.

Haha I thought so, does the job and looks the part too

Haha I thought so, does the job and looks the part too

Yeah, it looked ok to be fair.... It needed it on that build - original bottom end and ran decent BHP AND I added boost to it with the high compression pistons etc. so was a LOT of crank pressure and gunk blowing through lol.

Also had low oil pressure but I cured that by removing the gauge when I found out.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back