Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Opel Astra MK3 Convertible

Best answers
Reaction score
Opel Astra MK3 Convertible - new pics from photo session!

Yes, this is an Opel and not a Vauxhall. :) Around 3 weeks ago I bought another car, one of several Opels I've owned but my first Astra MK3. The only reason I bought it was that it was a convertible.
The car is an Astra -94 with C20NE, elec. roof/windows/rear mirrors, full leather interior, airbag, ABS and so on...

The condition of the car when I bought it was kind of crappy with non working central lock, 2 electrical windows that didn't function and a so called paintwork that was really bad. So tu summarise it it was a perfect project as I had a couple of goodies for MK3 in the garage.

The car when I bought it:
bilder%201248_jpg_scaled.jpg

A rear fender without clear coat

bilder%201254_jpg_scaled.jpg

A broken front bumper

bilder%201253_jpg_scaled.jpg

...and nice 14" rims ;)

So why buy it? Well, the central lock only needed a new fuse to work and all electrical windows now work, it was only 2 wires that had gotten loose...
So I took the car to my paint guy (a 71 year old man with a lot of experience) to get a full respray. I did all of the work except spraying the paint&clearcoat myself. And while the car was there I recieved my new shocks&springs from Germany.

Well, back to the pictures:
100_5559_JPG_scaled.jpg

GSi front bumper and sideskirts, Riegergrill, PH2 boot spoiler. Bumper has got a half "big mouth" conversion to be a bit different. Plastic welded some to keep the depth in the hole.

Things after primer, sanded them afterwards
100_5589_JPG_scaled.jpg

100_5593_JPG_scaled.jpg

Started to demount the car and sand it down
100_5611_JPG_scaled.jpg

Now really dismounted :D
100_5668_JPG_scaled.jpg

All of the parts where painted separetely for best result, of course.
The car had almost no rust, perfect! Before getting the paint on I also removed the hole for the antenna.

The paint
100_5684_JPG_scaled.jpg

Red pearl with 3 coats of clear coat, looked really good!
100_5695_JPG_scaled.jpg

100_5746_JPG_scaled.jpg

100_5737_JPG_scaled.jpg

100_5742_JPG_scaled.jpg

Now, time to mount everything back together :D The best part!
100_5759_JPG_scaled.jpg

PH2 rear lights
100_5766_JPG_scaled.jpg

50mm lowering at the back
100_5794_JPG_scaled.jpg

100_5796_JPG_scaled.jpg

There you can se the GSi sideskirts being glued to the car, and also with the new rims. AEZ Simas X, 7x17" ET35.

Giving the interior a touch of perfection ;)
100_5802_JPG_scaled.jpg

100_5804_JPG_scaled.jpg

100_5803_JPG_scaled.jpg

Difference between stock and new, 55mm drop in the front
100_5812_JPG_scaled.jpg

Vec B handles
100_5818_JPG_scaled.jpg

On the gound again, with grille, sideskirts, mirrors and so
100_5832_JPG_scaled.jpg

100_5834_JPG_scaled.jpg

So how does it look now? Around 3 weeks after the buy?
100_6024_JPG_scaled.jpg

100_6026_JPG_scaled.jpg

100_6027_JPG_scaled.jpg

Smoothed trunk lid :)

And a last picture from todays cruise, the first after respray.
100_6032_JPG_scaled.jpg

So this week I'm going to get the windscreen changed, all bodypartes checked for perfect alignement and so on... and of course I'm going to get some ice cream with it ;)

All of the pictures (these and a lot more) are avaible on http://figgz.mine.nu/cab/

Hopefully I'll get hold of two GSi rear bumpers so I'll build myself a 200TS rear bumper, that would fit perfect... as for now it'll do good :) But of course, I'm open for new ideas :)

Oh, btw... it took 11 days from bad stock look to the last pictures (took them today) :)

Last edited:
Drizz on here has two ts bumpers in his garage if your looking for an original. Car looks awesome mate! And you've done it so quickly! I take my hat off to you sir!

thats looks nice, keep up the nice work, nice colour

nice work mate! looks like youve done a great job on the paintwork :thumb:

mint work thear mate thats what our lass wants me to do with hers only bought her it yesterday and got gsi bonnet and sideskirts already lol

i have to say am not usually a soft top fan but that really does look the part!

dare i say it ... but i like that alot mate nice one :beer:

11 days :o :thumb:

well done mate that is some fantastic work :) shame to take it out in that bad weather :(

Hell, you dont hang about do you!, nice work, looks stunning!

Thanks evereybody :redface:
Well I've wanted to have a convertible for a while... and because my MK2 GSi 16v (with MK3 look) is a race car it's not that suitable for summer cruises, so why not build a convertible? :)

Yupp, a 200TS bumper is really high on the "want to have" list, but an alarm and keyless door handle will come pretty soon so I'll can keep the car ;)

11 days to build it is true, you'll se the dates in the folders if you follow the link... I'm not the lazy type of person, but it took 5-6 days less then I'd expected, thanks to the man who runs the paint shop :becky:

Today was a perfect day for a soft top car, relativly hot and sunny, let the summer begin :peace:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back