• 2019 Official MK3OC Calendars now available to pre-order in the club shop!

**LIMITED STOCK REMAINING - ORDER NOW TO AVOID MISSING OUT!**

Click here to buy now.

Out of my depth - fruit bowls

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to do something I've never done ever before... But I know nothing about them, and need your help guys!

I've got an old wooden crate I'm going to cut about and fit in the back of the Midi, it will stay in situ 99.9% of the time.

It's mainly for storing junk. But I thought I might put a partition inside it, and mount one of those fruit bowls the chavs like, the ones that make the thud-thud-thud noises when the radio is playing.

I wanted to go for a 12" fruit bowl, mounted in the top, so the apples don't roll out, but figured it'll end up full of soil, and then I'd give up and plant mint in it.

So, I'm thinking in the side.

The box is 12" tall, but that's external. The panels are only a clear 6" tall. Do they make fruit bowls this small?

Would I be best with two? Two facing towards the side of the van, or one facing side, one facing rear?

The music making device is some funky JVC KD-something, but an old one.

I know it has sub out plugs.

Do I need a boosty-box for the fruit bowl?

...any advice is much appreciated... :)

Rancid_Ron

Club Member
Reaction score
Lol Ed. My fruit bowl* days are long gone so I'm probably way out of touch but a single 12" subwoofer will provide what you want! You'll need a good grille over it too... You can mount the amplifier to the side of the crate but protect that too. You can run the sub' in a small-ish crate (enclosure) but it will be trying to move a lot of air around so you'll need some porting in the side (a good 1.5" hole saw will see to that) :)

How's Midi life?!

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
Midi life is cool, albeit more expensive than Astra life!

So much work to do to it though.

Only way I can mount a 12" fruit bowl is in the lid of the crate, so it'll get full of soil and the likes, even with a grill.

Can only fit 6" in the sides.

Last edited:

Rancid_Ron

Club Member
Reaction score
Pleased it's doing well!

You can get subs in all different shapes and sizes now, so there should be something suitable out there :)

FrostyWaffle

CHECK ENGINE
Reaction score
You can always try to get a hide away sub.

They're small flat subs that you could pretty much attach to the wall or underneath your seat

I've installed one of these in a friends car in the past, they got quite a punch for their size!

Kicker-HS8-11HS8-2.jpg

attachment.jpg

kicker-hideaway.jpg

80-img_1356_jpg_jpeg_ca8720e36c3332d79a63dc0af377e278f5179df3.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)