Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Overheating Astra F

Reaction score
So I have a weird problem I can't seem to wrap my head around. I have a MK3 Astra 1.4I C14SE, and it seems to be overheating.

I have tried bleeding the air from the expansion tank and the CTS. My rad fan switch is buggered so it's wired to stay on all the time.
If I leave the car running with the cap off and heaters on it stays relatively cool but as soon as the heaters are turned off the temp starts to rise and easily gets over one hundred (with the rad fan constantly on). The expansion tank rapidly fills and overflows with steam coming out, then if I turn the heaters back on it calms down and settles.

Any ideas? I'm pretty stumped

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
sounds like the rad is either blocked, or the thermostat isn't opening if its only the interior heater fan that will keep the car cool.

I would check if the outlet pipe coming out of the thermostat into the rad is gettin hot
if that is gettin hot, I would check that the heat is gettin all the way across the rad, makes sure you are gettin flow across the rad

Reaction score
sounds like the rad is either blocked, or the thermostat isn't opening if its only the interior heater fan that will keep the car cool.

I would check if the outlet pipe coming out of the thermostat into the rad is gettin hot
if that is gettin hot, I would check that the heat is gettin all the way across the rad, makes sure you are gettin flow across the rad
Ah, ideal thank you for your reply! Will have a look after work tomorrow! Just a quick question, it's probably obvious; should the hose on the top right-hand side of the expansion tank have a constant supply of coolant dripping into the expansion tank? I never seem to see it working?

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
errrrr, ill be honest i can't remember! I did think it was only for venting the rad though.

I wonder if the rad is blocked and the only way for coolant to exit is via that pipe....

Reaction score
It must have been, was difficult to determine when the fan was constantly blowing :biggrin: that and the heat we've seen in Cornwall recently made it slightly more difficult :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread