painting wheels

Reaction score
looking to spray my sprt wheels black to match the cars black look.
what things do i need (not the obvious) what i need to know is what type of paint/primer/lacquer do i need?

has any one done it how many cans do you need ect

cheers guys

Reaction score
KinG^Lee has sprayed his black in the past.

This is the advice he gave me:

KinG^Lee said:
The best option is to take them to a company that can powder coat them as they will last longer, if you cant afford this then you can do what i did which is paint them your self.

Clean wheels get rid of all dirt, lightly sand down the alloys using some 1200 wtndry from halfords, fill in any chunks or curbing, use body filler from halfords, then sand down the filler and prime the wheels you want to use a deep fill primer can get it from halfords its made by u-pol, give all the wheels a few coats then use your top coat paint what ever colour you choose more coats the better, then just lacquer them.

Thing is with the method above you will need to re-paint them every 3 months as stone chips etc pull of the paint, its best to get it done properly.

Astraguy09

Joint South Central Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
Become a member, there are several how too's on this in the relevent section.

I found that giving them a wipe with white spirit between sanding and painting (of course allowing it to dry completely) gets rid of any dust that causes separation quite well.

I have never painted wheels personally however I have had some powder coated in the past, they never peeled or anything.

Reaction score
i painted my wheels and they came out ok, lee's advice is pretty spot on to be honest, the only thing id add is it took me five days to paint mine because i let it all dry overnight and during the next day between each stage then let the lacquer set for at least two days somewhere still and warm. Mine were done last year with halfords own paint primer etc and have not peeled yet. I believe its down to the prep and patience

Reaction score
The better prepped they are the longer the finish will survive. Never rush painting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)