Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Photobucket blocking photos on Forums ! (Update 2018 - They're back!)

Kev_mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Its been highlighted to me that Photobucket changes their T&C`s the other day and are working through user accounts blocking every image hosted that is shared on a forum like this unless the user `upgrades` to $400 per year

Basically, it means pretty much every build thread / trip report that has photos hosted with Photobucket will soon be full of banners saying `3rd party hosting is suspended`

It`s going to ruin 1,000`s of threads on forums everywhere. What a set of tossers !

Photobucket - Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing.

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

Visiting: There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
Free account: Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
Ad-free account: The Ad-free account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.

Have to go to the $400 pay account before they let you post on forums.

Just a heads up people may want to start moving / looking for alternatives.

I may try imgbb.com

Andy

Member of Honour
Reaction score
Well they've just shot themselves in the foot. Who's going to use their crappy website now?

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
I ditched photobucket years ago as their website was getting horrible. I switched to Dropbox which was fantastic, until they ditched the public folder and all my links are now dead!

I'm now using owncloud hosted on my own home server, so I have full control of it all.

But to anyone else I'd recommend imgur.

astranaut

North West & North Wales Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Bugger, that rends all of my threads virtually useless then. They must have twigged it was all people put up with the shitty web design for.

TMODAlpha

East Midlands Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
That would be amazing :) I was annoyed when I did it from Facebook and they're not permalinks.

astranaut

Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
They've finally got to my account today and made my threads useless :(

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
They've finally got to my account today and made my threads useless :(

Yeah I noticed that on Retro Rides.

I've got decades of posts over multiple forums, loads of tutorial/future reference type bits. All going to be utterly useless.

I'm reluctant to use another host, as they'll only do the same thing in a few years.

Might give up on forums. :(

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
what their doing is actually a joke, just killing thousands of diaries, all the information that will be lost. that is basically going to kill some forums

edessex

Club Member
Reaction score
They got to mine some point over the last couple of days. :(

I don't understand what they think they'll achieve. I would pay a tenner a year or something, but I'm not going to pay $400 a year to put photos on forums...

Kev_mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
what their doing is actually a joke, just killing thousands of diaries, all the information that will be lost. that is basically going to kill some forums
killing the internet in theory as they where the people to use since at least the year 2000 when forums began and the internet became the norm.

downloaded my albums thank god.

astranaut

Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Just downloaded my albums, holy hell what a palava, I've only used the app for ages to upload, the amount of pop ups was ridiculous.

Kev_mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to give some hate -

Aim it here -

You could always try:

Mr. Tom Munro
Chief Executive Officer,
Photobucket.com, Inc.
2399 Blake Street
Denver,
Colorado 80205
United States

Phone: +1-303-226-6800
Fax: +1-303-395-1165

FrostyWaffle

CHECK ENGINE
Reaction score
It's a bit of a general problem with the internet, since advertising is being nerfed by adblockers allot of companies that offer free services try to find a new method.
Photobucket is hosting a few hundred petabytes worth of images from decades old for free, every forum it's hosted on has been using bandwith for years without any payment.
People are mass blocking ads, killing their only income to host all of it

I understand why they do it, but i don't think it's the right strategy. They've essentially dug their own grave now.

Adblocking is killing the internet as we know it, but that might just be what it needs to innovate.

I personally block ads too, it's been making browsing allot more pleasant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)