Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Police chief 'wants drivers penalised for going 1mph over speed limit'

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Best answers
Reaction score
Police chief 'wants drivers penalised for going 1mph over speed limit'

What a moron this guy is. Now I'm not saying speeding is a good thing, 20/30/40 zones are there for a good reason. I think the current system of 10% +2mph leaves a good margin of error, doing 34 in a 30 isn't the end of the world, and probably means you're looking at the road and not staring at your speedometer. People who purposely ignore limits and do 35-40+ in a 30 for example, they're the ones they should throw the book at and punish.

This is nothing but targeting the easiest thing they can to generate revenue!

It's not so bad in modern cars with digital speedometers, speed limiters and cruise control. But those without it, it's too easy to creep 1-2mph over.

Bloody idiots run this country.

Plus the biggest issue is Speedos aren't calibrated yearly and to put that in place would cost millions, either that or everyone has to have GPS Speedos by law which who knows how accurate they are....

But even with cruise control, i know on mine if you go up a steep hill in say a 50 zone by the time your on the flat at the top your doing about 53....

Its a stupid idea....

I think it should be dependant on the whole situation, if for example going 50mph in a 30mph zone where a school is, I think you should have the book thrown at you! On the other hand, if on motorway at midnight with good weather conditions and you're doing over 70 then these factors should be taken into consideration.

I haven't got any points and nor do I want any, I am usually a VERY safe driver / rider but I really do think it should be down more factors than JUST the speed.

I agree Leon. I mean, most 30 zones are well places, around schools and houses etc so generally there's no excuse in a 30 zone. Motorways and such, yeah, 11pm on a clear night, 80-90 wont hurt a soul.

And most diesel cars these days, actually return better fuel consumption at 80-90 than they do at 70....

i agree with what leon says, speeding in a 40 in the middle of knowwhere is alot different to speeding in a 40 down a housing estate and kids are playing etc.

like you say, let try and make some money etc. I seriously doubt he has never been over the speed limit. from what i have learnt, police are worse than the rest of us cause they can get away with stuff so easy!

Speeding is speeding, any limits under the national speed limit are put into place for a good reason.

There is a 50mph limit I drive regularly, and have always thought it should be a national, but that said, in the past year there must have been at least half a dozen crashes.

However, 1 mph over will not be enforceable. Speedos in older cars at least are not accurate enough.

Plus the biggest issue is Speedos aren't calibrated yearly and to put that in place would cost millions, either that or everyone has to have GPS Speedos by law which who knows how accurate they are....

but speedos under read to stop you breaking the law. stick to the speedo and limit you wont get done unless you mod your car and mess it up

but speedos under read to stop you breaking the law. stick to the speedo and limit you wont get done unless you mod your car and mess it up

I'm glad somebody else knows this too, every time I tell other people they say I'm wrong or lying even when I tell them to get satnav out and check gprs speed signal against their speedo! Old bikes were worse, my first moped - 50cc used to do 90mph apparently.... haha.

I'm glad somebody else knows this too, every time I tell other people they say I'm wrong or lying even when I tell them to get satnav out and check gprs speed signal against their speedo! Old bikes were worse, my first moped - 50cc used to do 90mph apparently.... haha.
its common sense dear boy

Yeah, like those fools who stick oversized off-road wheels on, oh, wait... Bugger.

Regardless of whether they under read how can they prosecute you for something that isnt calibrated, its like saying I'm going to clock you doing 80 in a 30 but my speed gun isnt calibrated it wouldnt stand up in court

The speedo has to be calibrated to a certain Torrance as does the speed gun. If you can prove the speedo isnt within that tolerance good luck I wouldn't want to try it

Its within tolerance when its new the same as the speed gun but unless both are calibrated yearly or how ever Long is deemed correct how can that be fair?

laws in place to keep things calibrated like speed guns etc but nothing to do with speedo's due to this you dont have a leg to stand on hence I'd love to see you argue it. The cost and time involved isnt worth it.

It is crap but until someone does something its tough.

Actually the speedo in my audi is very accurate I've found, it's always within 1mph of what GPS speed says. My Astra is also within 1mph of GPS as I've got a pulse converter to help correct it.

Thats one of the perks of living in scotland, no speed limits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back