Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Porridge Oats in the the rad

wayne1

West Midlands Regional Co-Ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
lad down the road mum got a leak in her rad , she was told to put some Porridge Oats in it :lol: to stop the leak but it didn,t work so the lad ask me have i got a spare rad , well i change the rad , he drove the car 10 mints up the road and the car was playing up, the manifold was glowing red
and now the car is very slugish and the water in not pumping in to the rad bottel
i.e is the water pump knackered and the thermostat or is the hole engine knackered

i don,t no what div told her to put Porridge Oats in it ,,, :lol:

Reaction score
:doh: what a dumass lol

reno

West Mids Regional Co-Ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
heard it all now. bottom hose off, hose pipe in the exspansion tank, flush it all out, then start the car up so the water pump is running. see if that clears it

Reaction score
should think its blocked if there is oats in it thing is your not going to find out without taking the car apart get a hose pipe in it and wash it out thats what i had done to get rid off all my mayo in the engine (headgasket gone) or worst case take it all apart (think how small some of the pipes are).

an believe the old wifes tale is an egg not oats lol

Reaction score
Next there'll be people using miracle grow to make engines bigger!

I've heard the egg thing before, does it really work though?
Should think iddy biddy ones but doubt it, any why put that in most petrol stations have rad weld on a shelf

wayne1

West Midlands Regional Co-Ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
on a 1.4 do you need to remove the cam belt to take the water pump off

Reaction score
It will be like the delorian on Back To The Future putting food in it as fuel. Yea thought you had to remove cam belt when taking the water pump off in most astras?

Reaction score
i think its best to just avoid putting food in your engine

+1 Although frying an egg on the block doesnt count as its not IN the system.

as for Porridge, I think thats gonna be a pain, cos that stuff expands like mad and sticks everywhere. I mean, you seen the state of the plug hole in the kitchen sink when you poured the leftover porridge in there right ... well imagin that around your waterpump !!

astranaut

North West & North Wales Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
yeah an if its got superheated (which it wil have done if the manifold was glowing lol) its going to be like concrete. I used an egg to stop a tiny leak in my radiator cos it was going for an MOT, it lasted till about tea time so it would work to get you home i guess defo not a permanent solution though. Porridge indeed....

Users who are viewing this thread