Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

power lose 1.4 8v merit 1995

Best answers
Reaction score
my astra is loosin power wen pulling away from junctions. it has 126k on clock and was running great up untill last month, sum1 said to check the compresion as i may be needin new piston rings, would be greatfull of feedback from any1 experiencing same or any idea of wat may be the problem

Last edited:
Yeah, best check the compression and go from there really.

my astra is loosin power wen pulling away from junctions. it has 126k on clock and was running great up untill last month, sum1 said to check the compresion as i may be needin new piston rings, would be greatfull of feedback from any1 experiencing same or any idea of wat may be the problem

have you tried a good service?

plugs, leads, aifilter, oil filter ect

changed plugs oil & filter and airfilter wen i first got car in september, was thinking of trying new leads in it too

Compression test would be my first port of call. Rules out rings and headgasket fail. Then you can take it from there.

Rings don't mysteriously become worn, I wouldn't even bother with that.
Is it multi point or single point injection, is it misfiring does it start ok hot and cold, si the mpg ok, how old is the fuel filter, just a few questions you should be asking, along with what are the emissions like, do you have an air leak, has the pipe to the map sensor split.
tabetha

Fuel filter could be worth ago, if you didn't change it might have neva been changed 126k through one petrol filter is alot.

had a guy look at it last nyt. he said exactly the same. gonna do fuel filter, leads dizi cap and rotor arm this wk end. havent got a clu wen all these were last dun so i guess i should prob do it all together,

Rings don't mysteriously become worn, I wouldn't even bother with that.
Is it multi point or single point injection, is it misfiring does it start ok hot and cold, si the mpg ok, how old is the fuel filter, just a few questions you should be asking, along with what are the emissions like, do you have an air leak, has the pipe to the map sensor split.
tabetha

its a single point injection, car run ok hot and cold doesnt have missfire, gettin rufly 43mpg's (good or bad) emmissions ok at mot in jan,
Where is map sensor...wat it look like.
Thanx for the pointers......

Fuel filter, dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads would be my port of call. In that order as well.

43 is good, since it came out the factory with around 35 apparently.

Map sensor is under the little bit of plastic at the back of the engine bay. Should have a 3 pin plug on it and a host going to the intake. It measures air pressure for ecu to match the fueling to get optimum fuel/air ratio.

43 on long journeys jus ploddin along bout 55. its 1.4 so no point tryin to push it on lol. took plugs out and cleaned em last night they wer quite sooty,

doin all that this wkend. dont wanna loose my wee annie, got rather attached to her now lol.

ok peoples my m8 has been bak to look at my car, he says its got a very poor spark and plugs are sooty. he is sayin its more electrical side of things, i.e coil knackered or on its way out..... any1 shed any more light on things for me

Might get a little warm, but not hot. Should be able to touch it at least without burning yourself. How hot is it getting?

If its getting really hot, then that means resistance is high which suggests its breaking down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back