Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Power steering

roy

Best answers
Reaction score
my power steering has just started making a horrible whining noise, when i was stood still in the car park i just turned the wheels abit and it whined alot! when i got out the car there was a big pile of steering fluid on the floor! looked under the bonnet and it seems to be pushing fluid back through the system and out the fluid bottle lid, but the lids tight :S possible causes of this...???

cheers in advance

The system could have been over filled which would cause it to push the excess fluid back out as the system is only supposed to have 1 litre in it

the level was fine last week when i checked it, but thanks, any other ideas? the noise is driving me crazy...

constantly, thats why its annoying! i could live with it just on full lock.

tbh, sounds like some sort of dirt contamination has got inside the hydraulics and something is blocked. Could mean a new steering rack !?! Does it still steer normal though, or has it got harder to steer? How does it feel with the motor turned off ?

yeah it still steers fine, just took it for a quick spin and it doesnt whine when on the move, just when im stood still and in first gear the whining seems to increase in pitch, maybe the pump is on its way out?? not sure with the motor off will look when it stops raining.

going to try and get one tomorrow after i finish work, need some more fluid aswel seen as though its all on the carpark floor, what type do i need?

bearings in the pump had collapsed, hence the horrible noise it was making, new pump on and its all good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back