Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Progress of My GSI

Best answers
Reaction score
Progress of My GSI to C20 LET Power

The first post is also posted in "Your rides"

I am gonna do this backwards, as the Car I am told has had £1000`s of pounds spent on it with Dynatec in Reading

ATM I just know that the car has lowered suspension, Drilled rear disks, an OMP strut brace Remapped ECU, Induction kit and calibra leather interior. Until i get in touch with the previous owner (3 owners back as 2 hadnt bothered swapping the docs over to their name) I dont have a clue what has or hasnt been done to the engine.The Electronic traction control has been disabled to stop it wrecking driveshafts.

So, here goes with the pics

This one has me a little curious as I havent seen any other GSI`s with the lower spoiler?

backshot.jpg

backshot1.jpg

Last edited:
interior.jpg

side.jpg

Temporary Setup to be improved.

ice.jpg

You can just about see the rear parcel shelf, made out of MDF and then used the rear of the old
shelf for the profile (gotta love hotglue)

shelf.jpg

Last edited:
Planned position for the reverse camera and maybe in CarPc screen later

reversecamera.jpg

Wiper motor/fan compartment cleanup!

Two days and 7 scrapyards later + a very rained on and soggy me I managed to find a new coolant level sensor (£35 quid from Vauxhall):eek: , together with a new rear split seat (I want the catch from it) A perfect condition parcel shelf with the rubber straps (I just payed £5 each for some from vauxhall) Grr. ermm some replacement rubbers for the interior top of rear shock absorbers.
Replacement gear lever gaitor, front side indicators, rubber buffers for the rear seat catches and a badge for the grille. Oh yes and a carjack Grand total - £25

Add this to one wiper motor purchased from ebay £11.

I stripped the wiper motor assembly out, removed the drain pipe (very blocked) and cleaned a ton of wet mud and mess out of the wiper/fan compartment.
Then I cleaned and derusted and painted the wiper motor assy before regreasing it and re-assembling it with the replacement wiper motor.
Cleaned and derusted the wiper/fan compartment and gave it a lick of rosso red coach paint before putting the drain pipe and the wiper motor assembly back in!
I also changed the pollen filter on the fan asssembly (It was minging) [blink]
Then i reglued the various rubber seals back to the wiper/fan compartment covers before refitting them
The end result...

wiper.jpg

Damn NTL is not allowing upload at the moment. image will be up later.

Last edited:
dont suppose youve got a pic of the bracket in the middle of the rear seat have you ?? im having major difficulty working out how to mount my leather securely and still have the seats drop down.

cheers, Mark

dogsy said:
dont suppose youve got a pic of the bracket in the middle of the rear seat have you ?? im having major difficulty working out how to mount my leather securely and still have the seats drop down.

cheers, Mark

I was going to ask that...lol

Can't figure out how exactly to do it, besides having to drill out a bloody bolt on which the head died :grrr:

AL said:
I was going to ask that...lol

Can't figure out how exactly to do it, besides having to drill out a bloody bolt on which the head died :grrr:
Lol it was cable tied in when I got it, I am looking for a solution myself at the moment :) I was thinking of maybe using some mdf and mounting the seat on that and then utilising the standard pivot bkts, not sure yet I havent really approached it seriously.
Oggerz - Whats wrong with the heatshield? apart from the fact it needs re-painting :)
What did you do with the rear seat belts to use the holes in the bottom seat properly?

Last edited:
AL said:
They won't go through the holes unless you want to relocate the brackets - just have to put them normally :(
Yup I think I will get some chunky brackets made up and extend them

This weekend

Deflanged and polished the water return elbow, Cleaned the exhaust heatshield, removed the Rad and cooling fan and plastic shroud.
derusted the top rad to cooling fan bracket and cleaned, polished and laquered the rad top rubber mount retaining brackets.

Cleaned the chassis underneath the rad and removed as much rust as was safely possible from the oil cooler and power steering pump pipes before applying rust stabilising fluid to them and the chassis member.

repainted the pipes black and put new heatshield wrap round them where needed.
Gave the chassis member a couple of licks of red oxide and rosso red coach paint before re assembling the shroud and rad back in the car (used new knock in clips for shroud I happened to have lying around).

I would like to have replaced the pipes but money is tight atm.

I have yet to clean the aluminium cooling fan bracket and fan.

engbayrad.jpg

engbayrad1.jpg

engbayrad2.jpg

Fast Gsi said:
The middle spoilers needs to go imo
As far as I am aware its a factory fitted option (need to check it out) if it is then it stays

Mondays work....

Stripped the ally fan shroud of all the crud and decided that I wasnt patient enough to shine it, so i painted it instead, I was going to take the cooling fan apart but unfortunately I broke the bl**dy thing doing so and had to scour the local scrappys for a replacement! the fan was slightly bigger so I had to remove the outer profile of the fan for it to fit.
radshroud.jpg

Tuesdays child is poor so ....

I have been looking at the bonnet lifters, but decided that I couldnt justify the £26 for the kit when I could do it myself much more cheaply, I had a slight setback as I was planning to use the standard Astra boot gas lifters and thought that the ballpins were 6mm thread, as it turned out they were 8mm thread.
I nearly gave up at this point until my mate pointed out the simple and somewhat obvious fact (Derrr!) that I could still use them if I drilled and tapped some new 8mm holes for them.
So heres the cheap way to do it!
Only one coat of paint on the gas lifters at the moment

Hinge shot

liftershinge.jpg

Wing shot

lifterswing.jpg

Overall view

lifters1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back