Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Re: Hi everybody!!

Best answers
Reaction score
Hi folks!!

I'm Hugh Waddell from Newcastle Upon Tyne and I have a strong passion for vauxhall cars!!

We've had quite a lot of Vauxhalls in our family 2 Cavaliers in The nineties and noughties, my mum had an mk1 avocado green astra in the eighties and my uncle has just recently bought a 1.6l limited edition Astra j!!

I'd really like a mk3 astra so what do I look for?!!

HUGH

Welcome to MK3OC.

Looking for a MK3, one of the biggest things to look for is rust. Rear arches and rear shock absorber mounts in the boot are some of the most common places, but a general look round for rust is a must. Anything else applies to buying a car in general really. Such as service history including timing belt changes, if it's not been changed then it's something you will need to consider doing.

Yeah the price is a bit ambitious!! But it is very nice car!!

HUGH

There are plenty of GSI's on Ebay too, I guess if you're prepared to spend that kinda money then GSIs would be a better call? I guess it depends on what engine and spec you're after though, I do love sports personally.

There are plenty of GSI's on Ebay too, I guess if you're prepared to spend that kinda money then GSIs would be a better call? I guess it depends on what engine and spec you're after though, I do love sports personally.

Well the thing is I would want a car that was sporty but didn't look sporty!! Do you get my drift?!!

HUGH

Folks,

I've found this one of eBay!! The seller doesn't look terribly trustworthy!!But l think it's quite a good car!!

HUGH

Last edited:
Folks,

I've found this one of eBay!!The seller doesn't look terribly trustworthy!! But it does look quite a good car!!

HUGH

I dont think it's worth 700, maybe running with no ticket but with both against it a few hundred quid? When I first joined what 10 years ago you could buy an MOTed GSi for that, how times change

Yeah I think so. But they say no silly offers?!!It's definitely not worth £700!!
Ooh gosh really!!

HUGH

I'd be offering £350 - £400 if i felt good. I paid alot less for mine ok needed a clutch but I ripped the engine out

Id pay maybe £250-300 for it!!

HUGH

I took a punt on this car, it's now running and the shell is surprisingly solid. No rust on floor, sills or boot floor, usual areas around the rear arches and around the filler cap are bubbling, front crossmember has a hole in it and it needs a new tailagate but it's never been welded/patched up for an MOT so the rust on it will be easier to fix. The hard part I'm having is getting hold of trim items, the rubber seals on the rear side windows are perished and I can't find anywhere that sells the.

Oh wow cool Tony!! Sounds like I missed out on a real bargain!! I hope you enjoy him loads!!

Regards,

HUGH

I’m sure I will if I can get hold of the parts I need. I didn’t realise how scarce parts for these had become. It wasn’t like that when I last had one 11 years ago lol :(. Maybe I should have just bought that white one with 9500 miles on it :doh:

I’m sure I will if I can get hold of the parts I need. I didn’t realise how scarce parts for these had become. It wasn’t like that when I last had one 11 years ago lol :(. Maybe I should have just bought that white one with 9500 miles on it :doh:
Seriously isn't worth the money the white one, You'd be having sleepless nights for the rest of your life if you bought it!

You're right it's not worth £6995, even though it's probably the best one in the country. I think I would be scared to drive it tbh. On another note do you know if anywhere sells new rear side window rubber seals as they're absolutely cream crackered on mine, or is it a case of finding decent second hand ones?

finding second hand ones TBH

Oh no I didn't know parts were that scarce!! Can't you just get them through Vauxhall??
Yeah maybe u shud have!! Still £7k is a lot for quite a lowly astra!!

HUGH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back