Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Repairing Jacks???

Best answers
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done it? Was it hard?

I've got thee 3tonne Clarkes Trolley Jacks here, 1 works but needs the oil topping up before every use and I've not tried the other 2 but presume seals have gone, seems a waste to scrap them...

Could you trust them though if you did fix them?
I couldnt so i would just get rid to be safe and get a new one.

These are Clarke though, but I can't find anywhere selling 'repair' kits...

Yeah theres a parts line number in the catalogue you`ll just need the model number.They`ll be fine with some new seals and oil.

when it comes to repariting things likes jacks... the short answer is DONT
either give it to a shop to do properly or bin it,

doesnt matter how much a new jack is, being crushed/killed or maimed because of a faulty jack does not even compare.

Ive had a jack for nigh on 20 years, works fine, if it even had a hin of failing Id sling it

Their now on EBAY!

so you lot support a car on a jack while your under it do you? Not exactly safe even with a new jack.

Mate id contact clarke themselves and ask if they sell repair kits direct or who retails them for them

Its not the point of supporting a car on a jack only, although I admit to have done it a couple of times, and that was just for a quick peek underneath.

The point is while your jacking up if there is a problem and the jack suddenly fails something can get broken, yanked or hurt.

TBH if you think saving a few quid is worth that then there's no problem.

As said above there on ebay for a few quid.

Whilst anything can be repaired when it comes to safety things should just be replaced.

At the end of the day, its only MHO :hang:

so you lot support a car on a jack while your under it do you? Not exactly safe even with a new jack.

Mate id contact clarke themselves and ask if they sell repair kits direct or who retails them for them

£11.59, 18 watchers

Its not rocket science to replace afew oil seals is it? Thats whats wrong with the world today,the throw away culture is terrible.
If you cant replace acouple of seals in a jack and fill it with some new oil,you shouldent be even thinking of working on a car.
Jaye you need to stop being such a pussy mate and worrying about what `could` happen. Your not a elf n safety officer are you? Now that lot need lining up and shooting.
Rant over...carry on.

Its not rocket science to replace afew oil seals is it? Thats whats wrong with the world today,the throw away culture is terrible.
If you cant replace acouple of seals in a jack and fill it with some new oil,you shouldent be even thinking of working on a car.
Jaye you need to stop being such a pussy mate and worrying about what `could` happen. Your not a elf n safety officer are you? Now that lot need lining up and shooting.
Rant over...carry on.

i agree the throw away culture of today is crazy my jack is older than my car and its still going stong lol, there is nout to jacks a few oil seals and a piston but i still like axel stands under there ive had a car land on my foot before and it aint a nice expirance :lol: that was when a sizzer jack broke

£11.59

not sure if that actually registered with anyone?

also a quick google found this

GUMTREE
car ramps and 3 tonne jack stands (£20)

Halfords brand new and gteed
Halfords 2T Trolley Jack and Case (£34.99)

no it's not rocket science fixing a jack or anything else. its about being safe, its also about cost v's replacement.

Pussy/wuss/wimp, no, but my life or injury is not even worth trying to work out. And damage to aa car if iot slips and falls could work out to be a dam site more that £34.99.

anyway, I've done with this thread now, just my 2c's worth.

Feel free to repair or replace.

Rant over...carry on.

Anyone who works under a car for more than 2 mintues with just a jack is an idiot in my book, its not about Jaye worrying about what 'could' happen, if a jack collapses, through its own failure or poor positioning, its not a trip down to A&E, its a trip to a morgue, so I think Jaye was right in what he said,
As for the throw-away culture of the modern world, check out my thread, that was rustier than most other cars that get scrapped, and was a Cat-D, so don't lecture us on the 'throw-away culture',
I don't have time to strip jacks and find out what goes where and what needs replacing, they were free, I dont really care what happens, no-ones actually said what to do, I got opinions and decided they were best on ebay, so thanks to those that gave advice, positive or negative, rather than just moaning like you,
Mod's please close if you feel appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back