Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Ronnie's S6 Avant - V8 Family car

No updates lately as it's been good but the MOT was coming up so it was time to get some jobs done. Took it into work I was getting a vibration from the front under hard acceleration and tracked it down to inner cv joints, for ease i wanted to put two driveshaft but couldn't find a o/s one anywhere so had to get inner and outer cvs to build. I got GKN LOBRO ones as that's who make the original ones, and sure enough they even gave the audi stamps on So got it up Stripped the one I had to build Hey presto Next was the rear end, one of the camber adjustment bolts were sieezed in the arm so got a new bolt and an arm in preparation I case I needed it. As per usual I had to get a genuine part as they're different to a normal A6... Lucky I did get an arm as I had to destroy the old one to get it out And all in Next front end off The aux tensioner as getting noise so got a replacement I'd had a couple of engine management lights pop up saying coolant temp sensor high input intermittent, so got a replacement which solved the problem With all the suspension now adjustable i took it for a wheel alignment and got everything straightened up, was just the camber out of spec as it's so low, but drives so much better now :) Next was new tyres, I'd always had Michelin pilot Super sports on this but my mate with the tyre business suggested trying the new Michelin pilot sports 4S. Had my handy helper out First impressions are these are a great upgrade over the Super sports, the only downside is the side walls are alot bigger so they do rub a bit on lock now :( but certainly grippier! Next was back to autoshack to fit some rear discs, they are the 335mm audi W12 discs with S6 calipers and pads, and last time the pad only swept 2 of the 3 drill holes and looked a little odd, so got them just to drill 2 holes this time I took my apprentice with me And the swept area And finally the MOT, which flew through :) So had a celabratly wash! :)

A guy I know was scrapping a A6 so I grabbed a few bits I needed before it went.

First was my load cover had stopped retracting so grabbed that

Also the button for the alarm had never been there since I bought the car so grabbed that out

Was time for new wipers too

Just in time for the rain... instantly

Keeping a black car clean in the countryside....

So got the suds out again

Still shines up well!

Did I really see that you sold this?

Last edited:
The last few weeks progress.

Back in at autoshack

I checked the front brakes when I did the rears and found they were shot too so ordered some up from mtec again

They do have a hard life on this two ton hot hatch!

And new parts fitted

Flushed the calipers out as the fluid does get a bit hot in there

It was sitting in good company :D

Next thing on the service list was the cambelt. The book says every 80'000 miles, and this has only done 31,000 miles since the last one. But it also says OR every 5 years, so it was due.

So got a full kit

And was time to open her up! This must be the 4th or 5th time I've had the cambelt off now :lmao:

And water pump replaced

And all on and timed up

Got to use my flasy new torque wrench :cool:

And finished

Living in the countryside and always blasting the B-roads the rear arch lip had got a bit chipped up so we sanded it down and painted it all up

The thing you have to remember with the MTEC discs is the whole thing is painted, so the pad wears it's own slot, meaning the first run always clogs up the pads

But a quick sand and good as new

And the discs are perfectly protected

And all looking pretty pucker :)

So some of you might already know, all this was in aid of the fact this is actually now SOLD! It went to it's new owner at the weekend.

It wasnt for sale, and I hadn't planned on getting rid of it, but I was approached by the guy who actually bought my old white Audi at the beginning of this thread 4years ago! He wanted it and offered me a very good price so away it went!

I spent last week taking loads of gopro footage so will get it altogether and make a cool YouTube video on the life of the S6!

Question is now what to get next?? Currently car-less :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back