Sh*tbox 5dr

Reaction score
Well.

Here's how not to do things....

Take one low miler 5dr. An Arctic 1.6 8v. Passed about like a you know what.

5MxUyE.jpg

GHMwHI.jpg

V9Dafu.jpg

Thing was a disaster to drive. Less than 70k on the clock and the suspension, wishbones, track rod ends all shot!

Changed that with some random ass lowering springs, Bilstein yellow front dampers and standard pishy rear dampers (yeah was gonna change them honest...). Cesaro 15's to finish. Grand I thought!

CLOBKH.jpg

aB7dWx.jpg

Made for a great daily with the standard 1.6 Spi motor. Never ever gave an ounce of bother. Just lacking in power.

Until I picked up this....

xuFx39.jpg

Yep. I went there. Wanted a XE'd MK3, plus I'm an older (nae any wiser tho!) chap, it was VERY reasonable to insure a engine swapped car. So thought why not!

Insert the Benny Hill music!!

gWqTdG.jpg

Get oot!!!

NLpWcv.jpg

New cambelt kit and clutch fitted of course! Then in with the replacement!

cozmkX.jpg

ufSyT9.jpg

Oddly satisfying, bolting good stuff to rusty crap.

K1whaB.jpg

Once I figured out what aux set I was using, it bolted together easily. Exhaust was a piece of cake.

Wiring was a little bit of a headache. But thanks to certain members on this very site, I realised it wasn't that hard at all! Just a took a little while though.

LZUQqx.jpg

PEvi70.jpg

Back down on the ground! Sat even better with a little extra weight in it.

f0JYN1.jpg

You'd never know!

K1ARuV.jpg

By heck it puts a smile on your face. Surprised myself and a few folk with it.

But 300+ miles a week to work and back, soon realised I needed a cheaper to run daily. Hence the 3dr.

Could and should of left it alone. Meh! You never learn owt unless you make the odd mistake or bad judgement once in a while. It's now sat while I figure out what to do, that said I've tried to sell the engine package....

So it makes for a very good parts store now!

Mr.Negative

Club Member
Reaction score
:hmmm:Engine swap to 1.4 multi-point? OR 1.7TD?

Reaction score
I love your method of getting things done, no messing lol.

Can't beat a good old XE'd s**tbox though!
I used (well still do!!) fanny about something hellish. Plus it had to get done, in a week. To get to work after it lol. Then plagued with a stupid running fault....

Which turned out to be two loose earth wires on the injector rail!! Twice with earths on XE's.

I WILL publicly thank the peeps I know on here and as well as on FB (including yourself Andy!!) for hints. Or just to put up with my constant f**kwittery while doing it!

:hmmm:Engine swap to 1.4 multi-point? OR 1.7TD?
Had thought of this....

I do have a C16SE in stock at the moment.

That said, another way to look at it is, this shell despite the low miles isn't the greatest. It's solid, but I've also had cleaner ones too.

It would however provide good sections to cut out to help repair my other MK3 projects.

Got a good enough daily now in my red 3dr, which has been solidly reliable. Because I left it alone hahaha.

Reaction score
Ha, that's great. I'd love to get the sh*ttiest early Astra Merit I could find and fit a LET or XE. I'd keep it totally standard outside, I mean 13" steelies, pound shop hubcaps, a broken off radio aerial and rotten rear arches. You'd surprise all the Audi drivers in town :biggrin:

The only problem is, I'd catastrophically crash on this first corner due to the tiny brakes/ crap suspension and end up looking like a massive bell end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)