Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Shaking like crazy?!

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been covered before, but was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction?

Driving normally is fine,till i get up to about 65mph, then out of nowhere the steering wheel starts shaking like crazy! When i've got both hands on it, looks like im firing a gatling gun at a bunch of vietnamese lol!:laugh:

Any idea's what it could be? It's been suggested that maybe the balancing is out?

(only recently bought the car so not 100% sure on its history0

Thanks guys!:cool:

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
First thing to start with is jack the front end of the car up and check for any play in the steering joints and wheel bearings, also check the tyres for any uneven wear or defects. If all that is ok then get your front wheels balanced.

Reaction score
Andy tht astra you got is it red? vauxhall red your gonna need a respray m8 my old man add a cav the same colour went well faded shame thouth was a good motor.

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
Andy tht astra you got is it red? vauxhall red your gonna need a respray m8 my old man add a cav the same colour went well faded shame thouth was a good motor.

I think a respray is a bit extreme.. it will go back to red with a good buff up, but I don't have the patience for it.

Reaction score
If it's a new to you car I'd be checking everything everywhere on the car, but as said most likely your prob is out of balance wheels, swap front to rear and see if it changes also.
tabetha

Reaction score
No patience then m8 no problem t-cut and buffer jobz a good un!

Hire a buffer and mop for around £25, get some FINNESSE IT, job done in around 4-5 hours, no strain, this is proper compound not the mickey mouse t cut!!
tabetha

Reaction score
Also check...

I would suggest that 65mph is a bit too high speed for balance problems, they would normaly show up before then.

Unlike this but you never know...I had the same problem on a car I had just bought - turned out that one of the front wheels had a crack between 2 of the bolt holes so the wheel was flexing as the speed got higher. The results if I hadnt spotted that didnt bear thinking about...:hang:

Users who are viewing this thread