Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Sound deadening

Todd100

Club Member
Reaction score
So then people, has anyone put extra sound deadening in their cars?

Been looking at some of this

To put in the spare wheel well and boot, might put some in the rear quarters / doors too deaden road noise a bit

Don't know whether it's worth doing or not though

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Morning buddy, I have taken all of the sound deadening out the astra while i sprayed the inside so i need to look into this aswell.
I did the astra in 'flashing tape' from B&Q, the stuff used to seal you roof of your house to the brick work etc.
It's very cheap and works very well, but it was a proper mother ****** to get back off, which is only an issue if you are going to take it off again. It is exactly the same as dynomat though and used the same idea that the black sticky stuff stops the harmonics in the metal floor.
It was in my boot for 10 years lol. But saying all this, it did work well and i can remember at the time noticing a difference as it would help the boot floor as it is so thin, and it did.

That stuff looks more like it would use the foam to quieten down the noise, it could work, i'd be interested to see the reviews on it if you can find proper ones.

Todd100

Club Member
Reaction score
Hiya mate, is this the sort of stuff you mean?

My only worry is getting moisture under it and it causing rust? But yours was obviously OK?

TubaMagna8

Club Member
Reaction score
I was going to say that i had some pics on my car diary for my Mk3 where i had put some silent coat in the doors, made a big improvement and even made the doors sounds nice when they where shut...

I did the same on the meriva and bought a pack to do the yeti with, I have so far done the bonnet and taken out the rear seats and the boot lining and sound proofed that all, it does make a big difference, Looking forward to doing the doors at some point, Drove my mums corsa to work the other day and think that might get some soon as its quite noisy from the rear end.

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
I was going to say that i had some pics on my car diary for my Mk3 where i had put some silent coat in the doors, made a big improvement and even made the doors sounds nice when they where shut...

I did the same on the meriva and bought a pack to do the yeti with, I have so far done the bonnet and taken out the rear seats and the boot lining and sound proofed that all, it does make a big difference, Looking forward to doing the doors at some point, Drove my mums corsa to work the other day and think that might get some soon as its quite noisy from the rear end.
got a link ?

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Hiya mate, is this the sort of stuff you mean?

My only worry is getting moisture under it and it causing rust? But yours was obviously OK?
Under it was still mint, cause its so sticky, it almost bonds to the floor. Everywhere i took it off, the floor was still mint, paintwork intact etc and all still fine and the same as when i put it down 10 years ago.

but it is a budget fix, and doesn't look amazing. does the job though. It is sooooo mcuh cheaper than anything else though, do the whole boot floor for a fiver haha

TubaMagna8

Club Member
Reaction score
got a link ?
Thats the post but the pics have dissappeared :(

Quick update, got both sides front speakers in, with some helpful advice from many on here I went for the JBL Gx600c components, undecided about the crossover position so one side has it in a Jiffy bag in the door lol and the other I have put in the tray on the interior side....

Bit of sound deadening added to the plastic speaker adapters and lots of crimping done for the crossover and speakers. Plenty of space inside the door clears the window, but pretty close to the grille on the door card.

Used some nuts and bolts to secure, see how we get on with them.... really impressed with the sound so far, Jess Glynne sounding even better than before <3 tweeters are behind the oem plastic wing mirror covers.

Next to do will be getting some body work done and maybe a new head unit, amp and sub :bounce:

Edit: Images properly embeded

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score

TubaMagna8

Club Member
Reaction score
Have you got a picture of how much you manage to do with the cost and amount you bought?
So i bought two packs last time, and I used the two packs to do the whole of the boot area, the Boot lid, under the rear seats and a bit under the rear footwell carpets, as well as some on the bonnet on the Yeti, this next set is to do my Sisters Mk5, and possibly look at my door cards.
Also used it in a few computer cases and external Drive enclosures.

I Usually buy it when they do the 10% off multi buy offer with that seller, so think it worked out about £60 for 2 packs, 2 packs weighs about 10KG so its decent stuff.

IMG_6502.jpgIMG_7586.jpgIMG_7592 (1).jpgIMG_7730.jpgIMG_7734.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)