Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

stiff gears

Can you go through the gears ok with the engine off? Could be that the clutch is on it's way out or the gear linkage needs adjustment. Gearbox have oil in it? Just a few things you need to check.
Phil.

check the little pin in the linkage where the linkage goes to the gear box they are common to collaps and cause it to be hard to get into gear, and if not check for play in the linkage. if not then try and change the gear oil that solved mine. hope this helps

to check the linkage, put it in gear with the engine off and see how much play there is in the gear stick side to side. To check the oil you need to get underneath the car and remove the fill level plug, its on the drivers side just above where the driveshaft goes into the box, then top it up till it starts coming out the hole. Thats about it i think, just dont forget to check if the clutch is slipping first, basically put it in 5th at about 40 and floor it, if the revs rise but speed doesnt, or only a little bit then it slipping and probably needs changing

Miss Tammy, I know what you mean! ...I've had a few Astras which have been hard getting into gears (especially into first gear) and even more so when in cold weather but I never bothered with them in the past (they were only cheap workhourses).

Prob be your oil as advised above tbh

once its in gear, does it still wobble around a lot?

hi guys/and girls,

I get this as well, seems more from cold and getting into first only, not tried with engine off.

Oil level is fine.

But was wondering if the oil has had it.

I mean how many of us actually change the gearbox oil?

I was meaning to drain it and refill, maybe try a different oil type,
apparently SWEPCO is pretty good for this (we use on the Porsches a lot)

as said, try the engine on/off scenario and check the oil level.

hey, thank you to all of you. i will get my bro rite on it haahaa
its not jus first and second any more either its third too :( x

ok thats looking different, min generally is going into first,

try this,
if difficult gettng into first
clucth down, select 2nd, then push straight up to 1st.

if its better that way, rather than getting into 1st, first :)
then was told its the sychromesh, i.e. you may have a kancked box
(oooer errr missus)

Although I'm sure your box is perfect,
errrm I mean I bet your box is working fine
i mean errrm cough errrm :redface:

<SWING DOORS>

ok thats looking different, min generally is going into first,

try this,
if difficult gettng into first
clucth down, select 2nd, then push straight up to 1st.

if its better that way, rather than getting into 1st, first :)
then was told its the sychromesh, i.e. you may have a kancked box
(oooer errr missus)

Although I'm sure your box is perfect,
errrm I mean I bet your box is working fine
i mean errrm cough errrm :redface:

<SWING DOORS>

:laugh:

haahaa thanx i think my box is fine tho lol

is it awkward to get to gears under the car..??
i will try to do the gears when engine off but when i go in fifth i do have a problem with the revs increasin and not speed so im thinkin my oil does need changnin.
i wouldnt say it wobbled when in gear tom but what does it mean if it does..?? x

shouldnt need to, unless I'm readin you wrong.

Engine is tranverse, so gerabox/clucth is on the RHS (looking from the front)so you can get to it easily, from the top, obviously any work (I think) you probably need to lift out the engine.

You can check the linkage easily as its right there on top of the gearbox

haahaa thanx i think my box is fine tho lol

is it awkward to get to gears under the car..??
i will try to do the gears when engine off but when i go in fifth i do have a problem with the revs increasin and not speed so im thinkin my oil does need changnin.
i wouldnt say it wobbled when in gear tom but what does it mean if it does..?? x

if revs go up when in fifth but speed doesnt then the clutch is slipping and will need changing soon.

sometimes if the gear**** is loose and feels like its not going into gear properly then it can be the gear linkage, but i dont think yours is.

and the engine should stay put when changing the clutch tbh, no need for it to come out

Tom,
on mine, tried this yesterday, goes into all gears smoothly when engine off.
1st is a bitch, 2nd getting harder. Better when warmed up.

Oil is topped up, maybe wondering to change the oil?

BTW cheers on the confirmation on changing clutch

ooh sometimes also get bad juddering on pulling off (from 1st) from cold only, after a few miles its ok

sorry for the hijack

if revs go up when in fifth but speed doesnt then the clutch is slipping and will need changing soon.

sometimes if the gear**** is loose and feels like its not going into gear properly then it can be the gear linkage, but i dont think yours is.

and the engine should stay put when changing the clutch tbh, no need for it to come out

clutch too jaye, maybe try adjusting it a bit to see if you can get a bit longer out of it. more specificly its probably your pressure plate thats gone so the friction plate is dragging a bit which is why its hard to put into gear with the engine running.

friction plate, pressure plate and release bearing change will sort you both out. wish i was closer or id offer my services :lol:

Thats mighty nice of you Tom,
very rare to get such offers,

TBH, I'm so ****ed of with getting ripped from strangers or MAINSTEALER, I dont mind giving somone some $ in hand for getting work done (which I cant do, cos I havent got the tools etc) to any of the guys here or other boards I use.

Just limping her till I can leave,

speaks later

REPPED you

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back