• We have just 2 Official MK3OC Wall Calendars left, find them here in the Club Shop! CLICK HERE

Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Stubborn steering wheel...

astranaut

North West & North Wales Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
I need to get my steering wheel off, it's really worn so I've got a replacement, however it seems to have welded itself to the column, I've tried using my knees, rocking at all positions, a rubber mallet, and it's not moving. Anyone got any ideas? Never had this much grief before

Reaction score
Its really hard to pull it out... The only thing to do is really pull hard and rotate from side to side. Be careful an don't release the nut at all...

Reaction score
There is a specific puller for the job, be worth asking if you could borrow one..?

astranaut

Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Cheers guys just bought the puller, if I rag it any more I'm going to break something.

astranaut

Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Threads slipped on the puller, to be fair I put everything into it, still not come off, even with heat as well... resigning myself to having to find a new column now

Phoenix11

Club Member
Reaction score
Rafman - when I removed my steering wheel I did remove the nut. It was tight going, and when it eventually came off, it came off with one hell of a bang. I did think afterwards that it might have been better had I not removed the nut. Live and learn.

Reaction score
Rafman - when I removed my steering wheel I did remove the nut. It was tight going, and when it eventually came off, it came off with one hell of a bang. I did think afterwards that it might have been better had I not removed the nut. Live and learn.

Ahahah, a friend of mine, broke his tooth removing the steering wheel in one Calibra :lol:

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
i think rather than a coloumn change i would angle grind the old one off. will make a hell of a mess though!
Mayb removed the coloumn and cut the wheel off,will save u money.

What u really need is an Air Hammer, that way u can take the load with the puller, or a friend, pull hard, and shock the middle with the air hammer. Should come off then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)