Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Stuck steering wheel

Reaction score
I need to take the dash out the old 5 door but the steering wheel won't come off, so before I break something I thought I'd ask. If I hit the undo the nut holding it on and wind it to the top of the thread and hit it with a hammer will the steering column collapse?

djwilde69

North East Co-Ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
leave the nut on the thread and tap/hit it all rould the wheel and pull like crazy it's the only way if you haven't got a hub puller

Reaction score
i get shot down here but it worked for me at the scrappy. put key in ignition into position 1 and take steering lock off. Yank it crank until your arms nearly pop out of socket.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, tried all this yesterday, even tried taking the tension out the spring but didn't work, can press it down a bit but don't/won't pop off!! I know the guy I got it off, took him two days to get it off a calibra lol

TMODAlpha

East Midlands Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
My last one, i grabbed it tight (with the nut left on the end of the shaft) and locked my arms so my body was as close to the wheel as i could then chucked myself back in a sharp motion. Soon came off :)

Before you say it, no im not a fat bugger...

Reaction score
Don't do as someone I know did and forget to leave the nut on whilst yanking, yes a broken nose, was funny though.
The puller is only around £8, sure it was when I bought one, have used it for other things as well, saves any hassle or injury!!
tabetha

wayne1

West Midlands Regional Co-Ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Reaction score
what i did was while sitting in the seat with a block of wood on the floor put my feet on the block of wood , with my knees pushing the steering wheel up with the nut undone to the top hit the nut with a hammer while pushing up with your knees

Users who are viewing this thread