Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Temperature before/after heaters turned off

astranaut

North West & North Wales Regional Co-ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Best answers
Reaction score
I know turning the heaters on on an overheating car helps cool it down, but does having them on all the time prevent it from warming up? The last few months my heater has stayed in the hot setting with it being freezing, and i just turned them on or off, and my temp guage has never strayed out of the blue. I thought that was just the stat playing up but today was quite warm so i turned it to cold, and within minutes the temp climbed up to about 90-95 degrees, dropped to thefirst marker whilst moving. It runs fine and is very economical so it must be getting warm enough to run well, but surely it should get warm then supply warm air? or at least get warmer than the blue area anyway? I did change the rad, flush it and put 50/50 mix of antifreeze/water in about October time, so is it just doing what it should?

Last edited:
Should make no difference if you have the heater on hot or cold. When you turn the heater to cold, all that happens is a flap is raisd or opened to allow cold air into the cabin, the hot water circulates through the heater all the time, just depends on what flap is open or shut.
Phil.

Sounds like your theromostat is stuck open, you need a new one.

I thought that, but i got the car warm today, drove it about heaters off and set to cold and it got to 90, turned the heaters on and it dropped in seconds to the blue. Cheers guys, is the stat a cam belt off job?

yeah mate i agree withthe above, mainly because this is EXACTLY what mines been doing all winter, ive had the sme heater settings as you, new rad coolant etc. and today i decided that my stat is shafted after putting my mechanics hat on and using what i know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back