Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Time to burn the wallet (C20LET build)

Best answers
Reaction score
Right well finally I am starting the LET build for my mk3 Astra track car.
So far I have had a chat with Dave @ PEC and i'm going to be ordering new standard main and big end bearings, steel rods machined to allow oil piston cooling, low comp Wossner pistons (probably 0.5mm oversized) and a Cometic head gasket. Will be bolting it together with ARP's.
I have a Garett T28 ball bearing turbo with a custom 180SX manifold which I will be fitting my new LET flange at some point.
The block will be going to a local maching shop to be re-honed once the new pistons have arrived and I have a set of xe and let cams, would XE inlet and exhaust LET be the best setup?
Still unsure about the inlet manifold but i have heard that fitting a standard XE one with a cav V6 tb has good results, any other options?
Now i have a standard GM head that as far as i can tell has not been skimmed, what should i look to do with this? Light skim? Was thinking getting it ported and polished would be a good idea.
But what about double valve springs and solid lifters? Will they be needed, or standard replacements be fine?
Then with the cam belt, tensioners and other gaskets best to just go with GM parts? What results have people had with the sump gasket options? 8v? ecotec? xe?

And finally what should i do with the management side of things? Currently have a PJ ecu with EVO5 chips and a LET loom from a mk2 Astra so has been cut about a bit. Heard good things about Emerald should I be considering aftermarket at this stage?

Aiming to run 320-350bhp on that turbo, with the possibility of more power at a later stage.

Loads of questions I know, but i'm looking to put the engine together over the next 4-6 weeks so really want to get bits ordered and get the ball rolling.

Excluding the turbo, pistons, rods, H/G and bearings i'm looking to spend £1500-£2000 or so if I use after market management, I know will will probably be more for rolling road time and mapping.

So what are people thoughts??

Cheers Chris.

1st thing...dont buy your rods/pistons from PEC...actually...go onto migweb and pm steveboyslim.

he can supply every part to build a mega spec LET and i know his rods/pistons are cheaper then what PEC charge iirc.

what are you using the car for? if track days id definately suggest dual springs and solid lifters. id also use both XE cams on verniers...even though last motor i built thats still on stock marks and makes 420bhp.

id look at:

steel rods
omega low cr pistons
ARP rod, fly bolts, go for a set of new main bolts
i prefer ACL 780 bearings over gylco, mahle etc
unground crank
paddle clutch may also be an idea too

head:

ported/polished
dual springs/steel caps
solid lifters
both XE cams
verneir

2.0mm cometic gasket

3in tophat should be fine on stock inlet really.

i can supply bearing, gasket sets, belt kits etc if need be. but for rods/pistons, solid lifters, springs/caps and cometic go to steveboyslim.

i can also sort head out for you if wanted too with or without the solids.

mate runs on s60 DTA too not a chipset, but tracjk and road are nearest to you i think not sure what they prefer though

if wana chat mobs 07807 040522

Told you that you should speak to Steve :lol:

Im now getting Omega pistons, steel rods. SBS Head studs, Cometic, Under piston squirters, Block, crank, Belts and gaskets iirc ARP Big end bolts aswell.

He is the guy to talk to mate.

Im going to be running Emerald on mine but as of yet its not on it so cant tell you how good it is.

IMO you dont need a ported and polished head. TBH i dont think you need any head work unless you plan on giving it hell on track for a long time.But if you want to get them now then Steve is your man :)

Phill can do headwork or my mate Andy (Purple XE Corsa with NOZ) Personly i would use Andy as ive seen his work and he is local to me (Cambs)

Go for a GM (Gates) Cambelt kit.

Ive heard different things regarding useing both XE cams. Ive heards that you should only use the inlet if on Motronic ECU but both if running aftermaket. But then ive heard of people using both on Motronic. Unsure of results though. I only had the Inlet on EVO5s.

If you do go to Steve for pistons then im afraid that they will be 87mm. They dont come in 86.5.

On the inlet side of things. My Home made jobbie is awesome with its Vectra V6 TB. I would go down that route but if not then the std inlet with 3" tophat is a good compramise.

Sump gasket. Use a 8v bonded one with shorter bolts and some sealant. Mine never leaked ;)

Dave Walker at Emerald says that he will do 3 maps on his ECU for around £250 but im yet to put this to him to see how true it is.
He is based 30mins from me in Wotton.

Nothing wrong with Glyco bearings, they are lead copper, do not get on with the 'sputter' type, I also use ACL and Mahle.
Mahle pistons are very good and can be machined to lower compression without weakning them, they are available in 86.5mm.
I also have one set of JE pistons at 86.5mmm.

Steve

Cheers for the info guys, posted this on 3 sites now, but i'll reply on here.

TBH i'm gonna stick with PEC for my rods, pistons, HG and bearings as Dave has offered me a really really good deal, not only a great price but also checking and measuring my block and crank.

Cheers Fenny, I have a vec tb that I didn't sell at the spares day so and a xe inlet so i can get on with fitting that up.
See i keep hearing good things about Emerald but just can't decide if i need it or not.
Just leave the head alone then and just go with an XE inlet cam.

Steve, would you be able to pm me a price for 1 verner (if you do them) all belts and gasket (not HG), and also a good oil pump setup. Modified Z20LET are the ones to go for arn't they.
Do have ARP's but gotta check if i have all the ones i need. May still need main setup.

If you go with Aftermarket managment then use both XE cams.

I dont think Steve sells adjuerble pullys but i may be wrong.

If you on about ARP rod bolts then iirc they need to be 2000 to be for the steel rods unless you go for the better ones. The normal ARPs dont go with steel rods.

Steve sells his own brand on Head studs and can do you Main studs aswell. I would also surgest useing ARP Flywheel bolts.

Regarding clutch. Go for a Helix 4 or 6 paddle on a lightweight Pot type flywheel. Can get the clutch from Mardi gra (sp) Flywheel from VXLgsi on Mig.

He does sell pullies. ;)
Mate has a load of 2000 ARP's that he bought to build a couple of engines but it never happened so gonna find out what ones i need and see if he has the right ones.
Have noticed lots of people using Helix reckon thats the one i'll go for, got a XE flywheel from Ben so hopefully he'll still be able to take it back for a LET upgrade.

Oh and your a bad influence, my wallet hates you! :lol:

You would be better of with a light Pot type as the clutchs are good for afew more horses.

Cheers Fenny!

If you go with Aftermarket managment then use both XE cams.

I dont think Steve sells adjuerble pullys but i may be wrong.

If you on about ARP rod bolts then iirc they need to be 2000 to be for the steel rods unless you go for the better ones. The normal ARPs dont go with steel rods.

Steve sells his own brand on Head studs and can do you Main studs aswell. I would also surgest useing ARP Flywheel bolts.

Regarding clutch. Go for a Helix 4 or 6 paddle on a lightweight Pot type flywheel. Can get the clutch from Mardi gra (sp) Flywheel from VXLgsi on Mig.

Yes I have verniers, square and round tooth, made by Piper.
I mainly just keep black in stock but other colours are available.

Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back