Todd100's Ph1 GSi

Todd100

Club Member
Reaction score
The outer bit that you see? Yeah i managed to get one off and its pretty good, no corrosion

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
How did it come off? Is it bonded on or something? If I can get it off I would spray it but then that fluffy seal thing is attached aswell

Todd100

Club Member
Reaction score
It unscrews from the under side, however there is a bit of black sealant holding it on, you do risk damaging the black fluffy seal but shouldn't be too bad if you just want to take the outer trim off

Todd100

Club Member
Reaction score
Little bit of an update, since I bought the car the doors have never shut properly, originally I thought the hinge pics were worn so I got the body shop to replace them when I had all of the paintwork done, this made no difference so a couple of week's back I took the passengers door off to investigate.

It turns out the metal of the door its self had worn into an oval shape meaning the door could drop, only the top hinge seemed an issue so set about correcting it,

Holes drilled and reamed out to 10mm and fitted some coated bushes to bring them back down to 8mm which is what the pins are

Refitted the door and it's perfect now, just need to adjust the wing slightly though as the panel gap is out from where the door wasn't sitting quite right

Mr.Negative

Club Member
Reaction score
I've just been tackling my brother's door, the pin actually broke in 1/2! First time I've had that happen, was a nightmare to get the remaining pin out.

Interested in knowing what the bushes are that you're using (not got a link by any chance have you?) Also, I'm assuming you're using OE pins again? I'm thinking that my brother's have elongated too.

Todd100

Club Member
Reaction score
Yeah they are these

Was tricky to get in and drill, had to cut down a 9.7mm drill bit and then ran through a 10mm reamer, and Yeah still using oem pins, pins shouldn't be an issue as they are the same as mk5 pins and they have heavy doors, think its just the fact its 26 years old

Mr.Negative

Club Member
Reaction score
Yeah they are these

Was tricky to get in and drill, had to cut down a 9.7mm drill bit and then ran through a 10mm reamer, and Yeah still using oem pins, pins shouldn't be an issue as they are the same as mk5 pins and they have heavy doors, think its just the fact its 26 years old
Cheers for the info, appreciated. :thumb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)