Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Todd100's Ph1 GSi

Yeah mine are fixed with P clips to the beam, it's just the wiring cable tied to the brake hoses

Yeah mine are fixed with P clips to the beam, it's just the wiring cable tied to the brake hoses

ahhh I just googled it about your right! I thought the brake pipe ran along the axle outside of the spring but it doesn't it runs where you have put it.

Little update, a couple of tidy up jobs done

Fitted some Insignia B pedal covers, had to make some plates for them to fit to then bolt those to the original pedals

full

And made a new fan mount as the old one was a bit hashed together, used some 3mm thick dibond sheet doubles up and a bit of aluminium angle to hook over the top of the radiator, all on rubber strip to stop it rubbing and much happier with how its mounted now

full

full

Also gave the manifold a fresh coat of paint while It was off, the Por15 high temperature paint is brilliant and still looked good after 4 years

Wow Todd you have been busy, getting proper stuck in too, nice job on all the welding and cleaning of the underside, it's a horrible job especially on the floor lol. That'll definitely help preserve the car for a very long time to come though.

Insignia pedals look cool too, been after a set of something like that for mine.

Wow Todd you have been busy, getting proper stuck in too, nice job on all the welding and cleaning of the underside, it's a horrible job especially on the floor lol. That'll definitely help preserve the car for a very long time to come though.

Insignia pedals look cool too, been after a set of something like that for mine.

Yea love those pedals, they look good!

Cheers guys,

I went for insignia as they fit similar to oem, all of the Mk4 / MK5 ones fit on like a bit of round bar so aren't easy to fit

I'll whip one off next time I'm out so you can see how I fitted them.

Yeah I don't think they would be a straight forward fit as they have a weird fitment on the back

Yea I fitted the Renault sport ones, they rivet to the original pedals both in Renault and on my car.
Typical Renault though 2 of them were brushed ally and one came through as chrome :lol: .
So I had to go over it with wire wool to make it brushed finish lol

First little project was to refurb a spare wheel, so loads of sanding, priming, paint and 2k Lacquer it turned out pretty well (good enough for a spare anyway)

full

So with the 2k lacquer working out so well the next little project,

I bought a Vectra B Irmscher steering wheel about 2 years ago with the intention to have it resprayed / retrimmed

So I had a go myself and for a first time trimming a wheel I'm chuffed with how it's turned out, few little imperfections but it's definitely an art trimming a steering wheel

full

full

full

Just needs a little more polish and get it fitted

The hardest bit was getting it the right shape as the old stuff that I took off was stretched and wouldn't lay flat to draw around

So I've never been happy with the brakes on the GSI, not sure why as it's got 284mm upgraded brakes on the front and the feel has never been great,

After a browse on eBay I found some subaru 4 pot calipers that were a reasonable price and thought I would have a crack at making them fit

I ordered some Sierra discs re drilled to 4 x 100 as that is what the hi spec kit uses to move the disc back and make more room for the wheel to fit, so here are some pictures

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Had to grind about 1mm off of the original caliper mounting lugs as they fouled the disc but apart from that they were a straigh forward fit and could be reverted back to standard if I so wish

Just need to tidy up the bracket a little bit and give them discs a coat of paint and finish the other side off

Looks like after a lot of research their a pretty direct ish fit! be interested to see what difference it makes to the pedal. I have always found the pedal is crap in a mk3 no matter what you do. Its a 90's car and the pedal is always going to be terrible.

did you ever get anywhere with trying to fit another master cylinder and servo? I cant remember lol

Well as some of you may already know im buying Rich's (Savage16v) GSi, and finally the wait is over, Rich is kindly dropping the GSi off to me on Sunday.

Here are a couple of pics of my current car (well how it looked before i put it back to standard)

View attachment 20232
View attachment 20233
View attachment 20234
View attachment 20235

Rich's build thread / diary can be seen here : http://www.mk3oc.com/forum/showthread.php?74730-My-Phase1-GSi and hopefully this thread will live up to the last and i can put my own touch on the car.

I though i would start a thread ready for when i get the car as i have quite a lot planned for it over the winter, through next year and onto next winter but i will come to that later ;)

Here are some pics i took of the car at billing, Im a bit of an amature photographer so there will always be plenty of pictures :)
This is how the car will look when it comes to me on sunday, and then the fun begins as the car is going to be off the road until March next year, one so it doesnt have a hard winter and secondly so i can put my own touch on it, onto the pics:

View attachment 20236
View attachment 20237
View attachment 20238
View attachment 20239
View attachment 20240
View attachment 20241
View attachment 20242
View attachment 20243
View attachment 20244
View attachment 20245
View attachment 20246

Well, i will update this again on sunday when i have the car :) look forward to all of your comments and help im sure along the way.
I definitely prefer your mark 3 to the mark 4! I have never been a fan of the mark 4 which is the main reason that I have had my green mark 3 for 17 and a half years and now I have got a red mark 3 as well!

Looks like after a lot of research their a pretty direct ish fit! be interested to see what difference it makes to the pedal. I have always found the pedal is crap in a mk3 no matter what you do. Its a 90's car and the pedal is always going to be terrible.

did you ever get anywhere with trying to fit another master cylinder and servo? I cant remember lol

Yeah they have been pretty easy to fit really!

Yes and no on the servo, I've got a Audi A5 unit fitted which was really easy to make fit, the pedal feel isn't great though so not sure how the brakes will be, plus it won't fit with the standard washer bottle so unsure what to do, I would like to find a brand new servo but doubt that is a possibility without spending big money!

Yea I know what you mean, the pedal is just spongey in comparison to a modern car. I have this dream of fitting a motorsport master cylinder in the OE place haha

Even the pedal feel on the Mk4 was pretty pish, the Mk5 it improved considerably in my opinion, but I don't know what makes it feel better, I did wonder If the abs system has something to do with it but not sure really how that works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back