Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Todd100's Ph1 GSi

The outer bit that you see? Yeah i managed to get one off and its pretty good, no corrosion

How did it come off? Is it bonded on or something? If I can get it off I would spray it but then that fluffy seal thing is attached aswell

It unscrews from the under side, however there is a bit of black sealant holding it on, you do risk damaging the black fluffy seal but shouldn't be too bad if you just want to take the outer trim off

Little bit of an update, since I bought the car the doors have never shut properly, originally I thought the hinge pics were worn so I got the body shop to replace them when I had all of the paintwork done, this made no difference so a couple of week's back I took the passengers door off to investigate.

It turns out the metal of the door its self had worn into an oval shape meaning the door could drop, only the top hinge seemed an issue so set about correcting it,

Holes drilled and reamed out to 10mm and fitted some coated bushes to bring them back down to 8mm which is what the pins are

full

full

Refitted the door and it's perfect now, just need to adjust the wing slightly though as the panel gap is out from where the door wasn't sitting quite right

I've just been tackling my brother's door, the pin actually broke in 1/2! First time I've had that happen, was a nightmare to get the remaining pin out.

Interested in knowing what the bushes are that you're using (not got a link by any chance have you?) Also, I'm assuming you're using OE pins again? I'm thinking that my brother's have elongated too.

Yeah they are these

Was tricky to get in and drill, had to cut down a 9.7mm drill bit and then ran through a 10mm reamer, and Yeah still using oem pins, pins shouldn't be an issue as they are the same as mk5 pins and they have heavy doors, think its just the fact its 26 years old

Yeah they are these

Was tricky to get in and drill, had to cut down a 9.7mm drill bit and then ran through a 10mm reamer, and Yeah still using oem pins, pins shouldn't be an issue as they are the same as mk5 pins and they have heavy doors, think its just the fact its 26 years old

Cheers for the info, appreciated. :thumb:

So with my wedding out of the way I've got a bit more time and money to put into the Gsi, so been cracking on this week,

Tidied up the passengers door, fitted some rivet nuts instead of self tappers and the little plastic blocks that hold the door cards on and got the door card fitted

full

full

full

Then today got a long list of bits done,

Took the plunge and fitted a new cambelt and water pump kit, this is the first cambelt I've done, it still runs so it's all good I think :)

full

full

Bled all of the brakes

And fitted my new spal fan which I also made a surround for to direct the air through the fan more, not sure whether I need cutouts on the other side or not

full

full

And how it sits now

full

full

Also a picture of my new daily, 2.0t saab 9-3 estate :)

full

So gave the Gsi a wash tonight ready for its MOT tomorrow

full

full

full

full

full

full

Nice to see a good update there Todd. Like the idea of using rivnuts, the plastic inserts for the door cards are pretty crap.

I'd say you definitely need to open up that radiator cover a lot, you're blocking a lot of the normal airflow from driving.

I'd imagine it'll sail through the MOT.

Nicely done Todd. In with Andy on the fan. Me personally I'd cut it out leave a 1" or 2" strip all the way round basically open the other side up.. other than that good job

Nice to see a good update there Todd. Like the idea of using rivnuts, the plastic inserts for the door cards are pretty crap.

I'd say you definitely need to open up that radiator cover a lot, you're blocking a lot of the normal airflow from driving.

I'd imagine it'll sail through the MOT.

It seems to sit just under 90 normal driving, but think I'll whip it off at the weekend and drill a few holes though with a hole saw to let a bit more air through

Me personally I'd cut it out (the white section on this pic) leaving a equal edge all the way round20190620_223017.jpg

Blocking the rad isnt wise. I'd remove it all tbh

If I cut out the bit like gareth says its not much different to standard

So this afternoon it passed its MOT with no advisories :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back