Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

Tyre wear :Cry:

Reaction score
Ok its offical... my car eats tyres!!

My car is lowered 60mm front (I dont get bad inner wear) and is a Phase 2 GSI - 205x40x17's are on the car and I usually throw budget tyres on it but I am getting through them at a stupid rate. Whats the best tyre to get the most life out off and what PSI are people putting in their cars with the same size tyres(im putting just under 40PSI in now)? My passenger side has worn really quick and is down to the limit (has worn fairly equal), this tyre was changed like under 6 months ago! the drivers side has more tread but has still worn quick.

What makes would you recommend at a decent price?? I'm looking at Avons at the moment but they cost around £70 fitted each and if they last as long as the budget i'm going to cry!

What do you guys use and what PSI?

Reaction score
hi mate u sure ur tracking aint out. i never would put just under 40 psi as you will fill everything on the road i put 30 psi in mine for a confortable ride

Reaction score
30PSI! really?? is that on 17s?? Had my tracking checked but was with the old mirror type and was told it was fine... wonder if they were wrong

Reaction score
yeah got 17s and the same tyers as you wanna get ur tracking done using the laser ones more accurate

djwilde69

North East Co-Ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
32psi all round, iv heard of people puttin there link's (forgot witch one's sorry) on upside down to help slow tyer wear, and with vaux not havein a adjustbal camber your pretty much out of pocket unless you can get some made up??

Reaction score
if you take the track rod end off, drill the hole out a bit and put the track rod end in upside down then get the tracking done, my cousin had to do that but he now has something like 70mm drop all round

Last edited:
Reaction score
if you take the track rod end off, drill the hole out a bit and put the track rod end in upside down then get the tracking done, my cousin had to do that but he now has something like 70mm drop all round

Surely that would make **** of it as the shank of the bolt is a taper fit?
I had Avon zv3s under the astra last year, they lasted 5k miles before they were "illegal" On a 60ish drop with brand new trackrod ends, wishbones bushings, droplink, arb, top mount etc..

Reaction score
dunno but when you lower the car that low the track rods are very close to hitting the inner wing hole, ive seen this mod done to a few astras now and they have been fine so far, i think its a case of a very tight nut on it lol

Reaction score
dunno but when you lower the car that low the track rods are very close to hitting the inner wing hole, ive seen this mod done to a few astras now and they have been fine so far, i think its a case of a very tight nut on it lol

Ah fair enough, actually now you mention it fenny was on about doing that with rose joints.

djwilde69

North East Co-Ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
yeah you guys are right, track rod end's i forgot what goes upside down

Reaction score
i wouldnt do that with normal track rod ends, as dave said they are a taperd fit so they wont be a good fit in a strait hole. :doh: to do it properly you need to use roose joints so that you can have a normal strait bolt going through the hole :nod:

and that mod is more to help with bump steer than tyre wear, as long as you have the tracking set up properly then having it on the top or bottom wont make a noticeable difference to the tyres

Reaction score
If i'm honest I changed the shock on my car for a softer ride but this is making the arm on the drivers side has hit lightly now and again but i'll be replacing the shocks soon enough for harder ones again.
I will be getting the tracking checked again but nobody will touch it with the laser type with it being so low :(

Avons any good now days?? or should I just throw cheap ones on?

Users who are viewing this thread