Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

water pump

Reaction score
i have a astra mk3 1.4i merit and i think my water pump has gone because the water goes tho the engin but dose not make it 2 the radator is there any way 2 test the pump. it should not be the thorerstat as i only changed it the other week. or is it somthing i have not thought of thanks

Reaction score
A duff stat won't lose water, as it is totally sealed, the water pumps are a pain in the rs on these, I do one every belt change(3 years) whether it needs it or not, they're hopeless don't last very well at all.
Another thing to check is the heater matrix, check to see if the carpets are wet.
If the pump is leaking when bad enough it leaks at the seal/bearings itself that the impellor shaft runs in, this washes away the grease in the bearings, resulting in the ball races being worn away from metal to metal contact, and disaster if not caught early enough, you get a loud rumbling noise first, simply take off fan/alternator belt to eliminate that as cause.
Usually though it is the rear seal on the pump that leaks, and causes a dribble that lands on the ground just below the crank pulley.
tabetha

Reaction score
A duff stat won't lose water, as it is totally sealed, the water pumps are a pain in the rs on these, I do one every belt change(3 years) whether it needs it or not, they're hopeless don't last very well at all.
Another thing to check is the heater matrix, check to see if the carpets are wet.
If the pump is leaking when bad enough it leaks at the seal/bearings itself that the impellor shaft runs in, this washes away the grease in the bearings, resulting in the ball races being worn away from metal to metal contact, and disaster if not caught early enough, you get a loud rumbling noise first, simply take off fan/alternator belt to eliminate that as cause.
Usually though it is the rear seal on the pump that leaks, and causes a dribble that lands on the ground just below the crank pulley.
tabetha
i had steam comming out of my vents inside the other day dose that mean that the pump has gone or looks like it

jono_astra

East Midlands Regional Co-ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
tbh i think it sounds like the thermostat there, if its not getting to the rad then the thermostat could be stopping it going through the engine, and if its leaking water outta the expansion tank then if you have a stuck closed thermostat that would cause the same problem there by having exxcessive pressure!.

Reaction score
i had steam comming out of my vents inside the other day dose that mean that the pump has gone or looks like it

Steam coming out of vents is defo the matrix sprung a leak, easy enough job to do though, be aware they normally get much worse much quicker when the matrix is the faulty bit.
A genuine matrix is best but pricey, these are made by HARRISON, and are copper, the pattern ones made of aluminum and plastic, mostly coming from poland these days, do the job but nowhere near as good, still adequate though.
I've fitted a pattern but am swapping to a genuine one, as I need me heat, it was like a bloody furnace in the astra with a gen matrix, even on a cold day turned the fan speed off and had to turn the heat control to about 1/3 the way hot, with new matrix it is fan on 1 or 2 heat setting fully hot.
tabetha

Users who are viewing this thread