What are the best lowering springs?

Reaction score
I have a 1998 ph2 GSI which is currently on the standard 15" twin spoke wheels. The wheels look a little lost in the arches, so i am looking for a set of lowering springs. I notice that the front is a hell of a lot lower than the rear. It recently had the bilsteins rebuilt at vauxhall.

Does anyone have any recomendations? i have been looking at the apex kit which says 40mm?

Thanks for your help :)

djwilde69

North East Co-Ordinator
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
if you want the top end go for spaX, bilsten's, koni's, ebechi(spelt wrong :sorry:)ect

Reaction score
I have had a few problems with Jamex (see my post) so would not recommend them.

I have Apex on my BMW and recommend them. I also have experience of Spax coilovers... very good quality!

Eibach are good also.

Reaction score
Well after taking it to try and get it tracked at 2 different garages and being told that it has already been lowered, they said they could not do the tracking as they could not get in the wheel arch to adjust it i think i am going to just buy some new standard shocks and springs! Anyone got anyidea of cost?

Dan

Mr.Negative

Club Member
Reaction score
Well after taking it to try and get it tracked at 2 different garages and being told that it has already been lowered, they said they could not do the tracking as they could not get in the wheel arch to adjust it i think i am going to just buy some new standard shocks and springs! Anyone got anyidea of cost?

Dan
I had the same prob m8... cant laser track but found a garage that could using the old mirrors. Not as accurate but still better than nothing

Reaction score
i had that problem as well so i bought adjutable blistins and spax springs problem solved but wasnt cheap

Reaction score
Hi mate I had a lot of trouble getting mine to sit level. I tryed Gmax/Spax/Eibach springs and found that it was low on the front and high on the rear. The best combo I found is 35mm Eibach on the front with PI 60mm rear springs, which now has the car sitting level. Heres a pic of how it sits mite give you a idea on what you want mate.

Andy_Mk3

Administrator
Club Staff
Club Member
Reaction score
I have -40mm apex springs on mine. Even with standard shock I find they are very good. A nice drop, they're not too hard or too soft though. There's still a good amound of ride comfort while it handles a lot better too.

I can track mine perfectly fine with laser alignment. It's not even hard to get in the wheel arch, you do it from underneeth just like any other car. Tracking shouldn't cost more than £30 really.

Dan
Anyone got any pics of their GSI with apex 40mm spring on?
Mine's not GSI but check my diary for pics of -40mm apex springs on it, link is in sig.

Reaction score
I got what I was told were std gsi springs from eibach and std gsi bilstein shocks, well impressed, were around £275-£300 from memory the lot, they sent me brand new cavalier shocks by mistake, but then sent right ones, when I enquired about sending the wrong ones back they said we have no record of that!!
So they've sat in the garage for 2 years!!
tabetha

Reaction score
Right i have found 2 kits i am interested in. I want to take the car as low as possible as it only gets used very occasionally and is going to be more for show that ngo. I do not really want to go the custom spring route yet.

One of the kits says 60mm all round for 1.4 / 1.6 / 1.6 16v / 1.8 / 1.8 16v / 2.0 / 2.0 16v / 1.7D / 1.7TD Inc Cabrio.

THe other says 40mm but for 2.0 GSI only.

Will the 60mm kit be that low?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)