• Official MK3OC 2022 Wall Calendar now available, find them here in the Club Shop! CLICK HERE

Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

What do i need to look for

Reaction score
Hi,

A friend of a friend of mine said her mate was selling and old car , she knows i love my old classics I prefer VWs such as Sciroccos,Golfs etc BUT she said it was an old Vauxhall so I decided to have a look at it.

Its a MK3 1.6 GLS Auto not sure how rare they are but its only done 70000 miles it has no MOT but im thinking of taking it for one as it does seem very clean and not a lot of rot on it Id rather risk the £100 they want for it plus £40 mot to save it from the scrapyard than let it be weighed in but im just after tips on what to look for on it , is it the usual arch rust etc on most cars and inner wings which look quite good.

Are all parts like brakes and cables etc still available?

astra3.jpg

Attachments

• astra2.jpg
    astra2.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 0
  • astra1.jpg
    astra1.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 0

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
Hello mate, yea normal maintenance items such as oil filters and brakes are easy to come by, as well as suspension etc. Also there is alot of these around where people break them for bits as everytime one gets to the point of failing on rust, it gets scrapped rather than saved!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Dave

im going to book it in for MOT next week emaning a one day insuranc eof rthe day just to get it there and back but hey we will see what happens if it passes its a bonus if not I can always break it if it needs too much althoguh i really dont want to .

The roof lining is hanging down is that common?

Its an auto are the gearboxes saught after or not wanted ?

It has a sunroof but no handle to turn it can you get them anywhere?

Also it has a radio cassette that needs acode is there anywhere you can get the codes nowadays?

thanks

DavebGsi

Administrator
Club Staff
Regional Co-Ordinator
Club Member
Reaction score
The roof lining is hanging down is that common?
Very common, you won't find one that isn't for sale
Its an auto are the gearboxes saught after or not wanted ?
not sort after at all
It has a sunroof but no handle to turn it can you get them anywhere?
should be able to find one on ebay, alternatively there is people on facebook who break them
Also it has a radio cassette that needs acode is there anywhere you can get the codes nowadays?
should have the code in your book pack that comes with the car, if not i'm pretty sure the only way to get the code is from vauxhall and it costs money, could be worth popping the radio out to see if there is a code written on it

Users who are viewing this thread