Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

what size wheels works best?

Reaction score
What would the best choice of wheele size be for an Astra Turbo (c20let)
and why, i would like 18's but have been told not to go that big, i thought the extra size would help with traction??
Your thoughts??

Reaction score
I think its down to personal preference tbh. Ive got 17`s and i find then a bit of pain in the arse at times but i wouldnt want any smaller or larger. Bigger wheels = slower acceleration and poorer handling. They also tramline like a f*cker. On the other hand there is nothing sexier than a set of tasty 18 inch rims filling the arches.

Rob

Reaction score
I have 17"s, and the 205/40 profile tyres made bad potholes or drain covers sound like someone had hit me with a sledgehammer, not nice.
Now on 15"s ... will probably settle with 16"s

Paul

B&
Reaction score
i have 15s on mine atm, with 185/40, doing refurb on 17s with 205/40 tbh i like the 17s better, but the 15s do pull a little faster due to less weight. I think its down to personal taste tho. some prefer a softer ride, some like the look of bigger wheels. I think the ride is all down to the tyres tho. Toyo's all the way :D

Reaction score
After trying most sizes or wheels its got to be 15" for a mk3 otherwise it just screws the drive up.
At work we fitted some 17s to a Gsi and i could not believe how it dulled the pull off.

The newer Astras though were designed with bigger wheels and so they tend not to suffer as bad.

Reaction score
after trying 15" 16" and 17" i can honestly say the perfect size is ......... 16" !!

they look nice, they handle well, they dont cause any adverse effects (tramlining and so on) and they dont cause excessive wear on suspension components.

benlee

B&
Reaction score
i have tryed 195-55-15 (standered size) 195-50-15 and 205-40-15
now i run 205-40-17 and think are the best for handeling and looks and are the same rolling radius as the standered alloys so speedo wiill still stay the same.

with the correct offset there no tramlineing
i think aloy of it is on what make of tyres you go for

Ben

Reaction score
whatever you do, don't fit 18s, unless you like getting a sore ass! i've got 18s on mine, lowered 50mm, and the ride is seriously uncomfortable, you could drive over an insect and count how many legs it had! 17s look the best, but i dare say 16s would be the best overall size.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)