Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

whuring noise..

Best answers
Reaction score
as im driving my car has a whuring noise that sounds just like wheel bearings going it even gets louder as i go faster but the problem is its not the wheel bearings im stuck as to thinking what it could be??

anyone ever had this or know what it could be?

is there vibration in the steering wheel??

defo not the alternator? mine made a whirring noise that got worse under acceleration, just a thought.

well im not certain it isnt but it sounds like its coming from the passanger side front wheel and defo gets worse as i turn the wheels that way

Look at the tyres,

Had this and changed it turns out that it was a deformed tyre.... sounded like a wheel bearing. get the tyres spun up and see if there is a wobble or lump

Try your best to narrow it down a bit. Can you aggrevate the noise in any way with acceleration or cornering? Does the noise stop whilst braking? Take the wheels off and check that nothing is too hot (bearings, hubs etc) and have a good luck for signs of something rubbing.

wheel looks/feels fine no bumps and not misshaped, noise gets louder the faster i go sound just like a wheel bearing but there fine been checked, noise doesnt increase in pitch or anything just louder, if i turn towards the passenger side it gets worse aswell, it does stop for a slight second if i go over a dip in the road or the car sits up abit in the road which leads me to think suspension???

Maybe strut tops or something to do with the breaks not something wrong with them but maybe some crap or moved leading to it making the noise????

bearings to me.

front driveshafts?? mine is making a noise and I know its the front driveshafts (i thought it was the wheel bearings too but have changed these now)

My driveshaft just rattled when i went round a corner but it is a definate possiblity, but like i said and kev etc above a bearing???

check to make sure you brake pads aint tight mate if they are they can make a a lound noise the faster you go.

gearbox might be rumbleing a bit might be a bit worn out..its located on pass side wheel area..increases with speed if the bearings are fine poss check that?

i think the wheel touches the arch because when i turn its almost like the sound of rubber being shaved.. ill inspect it ..... wheel bearings are fine been changed ect gearbox is fine through the gears and only done 70,000 miles so dont think its that... what does the strut top do??

strut top's are the rubber bit's under your binnet each side! and they have a little bearing under it witch help's your wheel's turn if they make a clunking noise turning left to right full lock when your going verry slow or even stoped then you should change them al tho they shouldn't cause any noise when your driveing in a strait line

I'd say bearing. Some ppl just jack up the wheel and check for play but bearings can become just noisy. You wont even be able to replicaate the sound cause its got no load on it/ or you cant spin it fast enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back