Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

why do all wheels lean inwards?

Best answers
Reaction score
was just looking at my car earlier and noticed that all wheels lean inwards...is this normal? i noticed wearing on the inside of my front tyres but that i put that down to the rear bushes on the wishbones being fooked. it still happens a little bit but im guessing my wheels are towing out badly, the rear ones seem to be leaning in aswel though but never had any wear problems with those can anybody shed some light on this?

its called camber and will happen to all mk3 astra's that are lowered, there is no real way to deal with it im afraid. Although i did think about getting some shorter lower arms, track rods and arb made up to see if i could combat the wear problems

mine is lowered 40mm but i dont see how lowering it should make them lean i thort the wheels would sit deeper in the arches

Its because the strut is not perfectly upright and the lower the car sits the more they lean in

if they didnt do it at the back it would be really skittish and not have a lot of grip. Think about how a car rolls when cornering as it leans those wheels end up paralell to the road so giving as much grip as possible

normal... its refereed to as a negative camber (positive being when the top of the wheel goes outward) and happens when you lower unless you mod your suspension to compensate this for example... people use roll center adjusters to change the camber again. This can help eliminate "bump steer" and obviously with the correct geometry it will help the car handle better in hard cornering ect.

RCA.jpg

above, example of a RCA (I know its not an Astra!)

Camber looks :cool: :lol:

Mine was -60mm and front tyres didnt wear to badly at all :beer:

The set i had before wore very badly but thats because the tracking was out, and the lower wishbone bushes and balljoint were shagged. :rolleyes:

Thats a relief! I thought my wheels were gonna fall off lol :D

normal front camber is about -1.2 degrees, can end up at about -2.5ish when lowered. its all normal, dont worry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back