Want to remove ads? Become a MK3OC Club Member today!

xBay Chip Tuning - What's hot and what's not.

Best answers
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am not a chip tuning expert, but through various threads that came up recently there was something I wanted to write about – eBay chip(!) tuning!

We have all seen them, +15BPH for 7,95. What a bargain (can I fit 2?!)

For your money you get a „Module“ to fit, which only takes a few seconds, you get better MPG, more BPH and Torque, lower emmisions, totally legal and can be removed within seconds.

WOW Thats excellent, just what we are all looking for. Soooo where's the catch ?
Come on guys .. wake up and smell the coffee. Real BHPs cost a lot of money, so whats the scam? Well firstly, here is an example of the bugger concerned.

BHP.jpg

THIS IS NOT A CHIP !!

Chip tuning is (very basically) the remapping of the eeprom chip in your ecu using etensive rolling road procedures to gain maximum results. Dbilas does a chip remap for most opel/Vauxhals, and for pure example, the 2.0l red top engine with standard 150ps can be chiped to 162ps at a cost of 335 Euro. But even this is a standard „off the shelf“ chip.

THIS IS A CHIP

chip.jpg

So, what do we get then?
basically what you are being sold is a resistor. Cost, 2p (give or take 1 or 2p).

resistor-band.jpg

What does it do ?
It tricks the engine into thinking it is colder than it is, by restricting the temp signal.
It manipulates the coolant temp signal to the ECU (If you take some trime to study the resistor band chart, you could work out the resistance, and replace it with a lower or higher value resistor, thus re producing a richer or leaner running possibility!! - WOW what a great idea, i am amazed these „chip tuners“ are not allready offering „customised“ chips .. anyway enough of that !)

How is it fitted?
The resistor is bridged across the temp sensor plug, and thats it.

What effect does this have ?
Well, a colder engine needs more fuel to run, the warmer they get, the thinner the fuel/air ratio gets. In this case the engine is tricked into running fat all the time. Effects are, despite what they say, lower MPG, plugs burn up quicker, engine is badly managed, Catalytic converter burns out quicker.

Is it worth it
No. Firstly the price of 7,50 for a 2p resistor is a rip off and this should be an indication of the seriousnes of this sort of "tuning" secondly, there is more harm done than good, and lastly, if it is so good, and 100% legal and gives better mpg, why the question nr.6 (in the auction i am refering to, there were a number of questions set, one of them being: 6) If I want to remove it can it easily be removed without trace?Yes. No wires need to be cut for installation and can easily be removed without trace within a couple of minutes.)To remove without a trace is only good if it buggers the engine and you want to sell the car on to some unsuspecting sod.

There will always be folks out there who swear by this, but then, there are people who swear Elivs lives on mars.

hope this clears things up a bit.

Oh, here are some of the negative feedbacks (of course there are good ones too, but these are usually quite representive)

no performance gains, bike runs far too rich. refused refund - BEWARE! RIP OFF!

BAD PRODUCT!! CAN DAMAGE ENGINE!!!! DO NOT BUY!!!! WONT GIVE REFUND!!!!!

Last edited:
Moved to "Useful Info" section.

Nice work mate.

I redid it a bit to tidy it up ... but it seems to send the message. Guys and gals, dont waste your hard earned pennies on this rubbish. It is presented very profesionally, but the end product is the same. A cheap resistor sold in a flirty box with catchphrases like "more boost" making is sound good.

Nice one Jason. I came across this first of all a couple of years ago, was dubious then about the lame claims made for it then and still am.

I agree, more power doesn't come easily or cheaply.

Serious bucks for a slight increase in power, re-maps etc is the only way if you can afford it.

We have a dodgy character here in Telford offering re-maps with his laptop, tried him on my car and he couldn't program a brand new blank ECU for one of my Vectra's.

Choose wisely. :cool:

Nice one Jason. I came across this first of all a couple of years ago, was dubious then about the lame claims made for it then and still am.

I agree, more power doesn't come easily or cheaply.

Serious bucks for a slight increase in power, re-maps etc is the only way if you can afford it.

We have a dodgy character here in Telford offering re-maps with his laptop, tried him on my car and he couldn't program a brand new blank ECU for one of my Vectra's.

Choose wisely. :cool:

there's a difference between adding a map to an existing ecu, and programming a blank one though, but thats a whole other thread...

I could quite easily hook my laptop to my car and reflash the ecu with a downloadable map from the internet, but without Tech2 you won't be able to program an ecu from scratch.

on a side note...

I reckon threads in here should be locked as soon as they are posted so they become reference threads only - anyone else agree?

on a side note...

I reckon threads in here should be locked as soon as they are posted so they become reference threads only - anyone else agree?

I disagree, because as it stands one person starts the thread then others can ad their knowledge to the same thread, thus keeping all the info in the same thread and so weasier to find rather than having loads of threads on the same basic subject by different people recommending slightly different things

alternatively, it could be seen that you'd end up having to sift through 800,000,000 posts saying "that's great, useful stuff thanks" and 250,000,000 posts giving conflicting info, before you found anyone else adding anything worthwhile.

you don't get a reference book out of the library and start making notes in the margin because you know something they haven't included :rolleyes:

I reckon it should just be down to us to merge similar threads in this section into one thread - would be far easier to refer to. likewise the tech guides IMO.

think this is probably best kept to admin chat

on a side note...

i agree tbh i dont think any more useful info could be added to this!!! but if you had to could you not just put a link at the bottom of lefthookers post for the discussion of this???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back